Thapar Institution of Engineering and Technology - Chair in Data Science
- UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND
- Brisbane, Australia
- The total FTE package will start from $225,708.48 per annum
- 29 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 01 May 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Professors / Chairs
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
- Drive innovation in data science with international impact
- Champion an exciting partnership between the University of Queensland and Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology
- Establish an influential joint research initiative and Centre of Excellence in data science
- Level E, full time position based at St Lucia with a presence in Patiala, India
- Applications close Monday 1 May at 11.00pm AEST
About This Opportunity
The University of Queensland (UQ) in Australia and Thapar Institution of Engineering and Technology (TIET) in Patiala, India, have started a strategic partnership for teaching, research, and student mobility. As part of this agreement, UQ invites applications for the position of TIET-UQ Chair in Data Science. In this newly established position, you will harness the power of both research and teaching excellence to drive innovations in data science.
As an influential member of both universities, The Chair will join a strong team of researchers and domain experts and play a leading role in determining future research strategy and establishing a joint research initiative in the area of data science, build up highly effective research teams in both India and Australia, and produce high quality research outcomes. The Chair will be resourced to establish a Centre of Excellence in Data Science at TIET.
The Chair will foster and develop collaboration with industry and government partners, leading to joint international initiatives and funding in collaboration with UQ and other international partners. The focus of the role will be initially on building the research centre and the international collaboration and therefore have a reduced teaching load at UQ. The Chair will be well resourced from both universities to achieve the Chair’s ambitious goals.
For more information about the role and both institutions, please view the appointment booklet linked below.
Along with completion of a PhD in computer science or related discipline you will have:
- A sustained record of outstanding outcomes and leadership in teaching and research in a related discipline,
- International recognition and leadership in data science and an outstanding record of publications in reputed refereed journal and presenting at conferences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead a strategic research agenda with an outstanding record of successfully seeking, obtaining and managing significant external research funding from institutional and commercial sources.
- Evidence of successfully establishing international collaborations, ideally with experience from Australia and India.
- Evidence of an exceptional level of quality teaching, course coordination, and curriculum development at undergraduate, honours and postgraduate level across a variety of settings, including small and large groups.
- An excellent record of supervision of Honours and Research Higher Degree students to successful completion.
- An outstanding record of meaningful internal leadership roles in conjunction with a high level of leadership in external activities at a national and international level.
What We Can Offer
The TIET-UQ Chair in Data Science role is a full-time, fixed-term appointment at Academic Level E at The University of Queensland. This appointment is initially for five years with the potential to extend.
The Chair will spend 70% of their time annually at The University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia and at least 30% of their time annually at Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (TIET) in Patiala, India. The 30% can be completed over several shorter trips if this is the candidates preference.
Accommodation in Patalia for the extended stays will be provided for the candidate.
An attractive remuneration and strategic start up package will be negotiated with the successful candidate. The full-time equivalent Level E base salary will start from $192, 913.23 plus super of up to 17%. The total FTE package will start from $225,708.48 per annum.
The University will meet all reasonable removal and establishment expenses. In the case of an interstate or international appointee, an accommodation allowance may be available for a limited period.
For further information about UQ’s benefits, please visit Why Work at UQ and review The University of Queensland's Enterprise Bargaining Agreement 2018 - 2021.
To discuss this role please contact the Head of School, Professor Michael Bruenig.
For application queries, please contact Teagan Couper, Principal Advisor at email@example.com stating the job reference number in the subject line.
Want to Apply?
All applicants must upload the following documents in order for your application to be considered:
- Cover letter addressing the ‘About You’ section
Please note that you will be asked to add all documents into the one upload box labelled ‘resume’, which is step one of the application form.
To satisfy pre-requisite questions and ensure your application can be considered in full, all candidates must apply via the UQ Careers portal by the job closing deadline or will not be accepted.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this appointment.
We value diversity and inclusion, and actively encourage applications from those who bring diversity to the University. Our Diversity and Inclusion webpage contains further information if you require additional support. Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a current employee of the University, or hold an unpaid or affiliate appointment with the University, please login to your staff Workday account and visit the internal careers board to apply for this opportunity. Please do NOT apply via the external job board.