Research Associate / Research Fellow (Electrophysiology)
- UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Perth (Suburb), Western Australia (AU)
- $72,780 - $121,864 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
- 29 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 27 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- The Cardiovascular Electrophysiology Laboratory in the School of Human Sciences is seeking an experienced researcher to join a talented team led by Research Professor Livia Hool who is investigating the effects of calcium on heart function
- Full time, fixed term appointment for 12 months
- Salary range: Level A $72,780 - $97,946 p.a. or Level B $102,983 - $121,864 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities.? With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The School of Human Sciences is a large multi-disciplinary School with research and teaching focused on better understanding what it is to be human, from our structure, function, development and genetics, to adaptation, performance and evolution.
This position is based at the UWA Crawley campus working in the Cardiovascular Electrophysiology Laboratory and reporting to Research Professor Livia Hool.
About the opportunity
In this position, you will be working on characterising L-type calcium channel function in expression systems and murine CRISPR mutant models. You will conduct research experimens, activites and intepret results. You will also be exptected to supervise and assist staff and students in laboratory skills as well as publish academic papers and other scholarly outputs to a high international standards.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant degree and post graduate qualification in biophysics and/or physiology or pharmacology or molecular science or biochemistry
- Experience in patch-clamp measurement of ion channels, single channel and/or macroscopic currents, and pClamp software
- Experience in animal physiology and biochemistry is desirable
- Experience in molecular biology and preparation of mutant constructs and transfection of contructs in culture cell lines is desirable
- Experience in animal physiology (measurement of cardiac contractile function by left ventricular catheterisation, echocardiography), and biochemistry (immunoblot and/or western blot technique, fluorescent detection of calcium and/or mitochondrial function) are highly desirable
- Ability to supervise students and/or staff
- Knowledge of safety issues relating to the use of laboratory equipment and chemicals
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Research Associate or Fellow (Electrophysiology) 514135.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: 11:55pm AWST on Thursday, 27 April 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Professor Livia Hool at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.