Fire Safety Officer
Estates & Campus Services
Paisley Campus (but required to work across all Campuses with hybrid working available)
THE POST – Fire Safety Officer
A fantastic opportunity has arisen within Estates & Campus Services (Health & Safety) for a Fire Safety Officer to join the team. As a member of the Health & Safety team, you will lead and deliver competent advice and training to all University Schools and Departments on all aspects of Fire Safety Management, particularly in identifying fire hazards and minimising fire risks.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in fire safety including significant working knowledge of the Scottish legislative and enforcement system for fire safety, as evidenced by career and/or relevant qualifications.
- Evidence of sustained continuous professional development (CPD).
- Significant experience in the provision of advice and compliance in fire safety legislation i.e. The Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 and The Fire Safety (Scotland) Regulations 2006
- Significant experience in conducting Fire Risk Assessments across a range of premises.
- Experience of fire prevention, fire risk assessment & legislation and current building regulations
- Experience in preparation and co-ordination of Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPs)
You will be an excellent communicator with report writing and presentation skills, be able to meet deadlines and have good IT skills including Microsoft Office.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings).
University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses. With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
Our professional services teams are the backbone of UWS, providing robust and innovative solutions to support the vast range of work across learning and teaching, and research and innovation. You will join a supportive and dedicated team, playing a key role in a range of work that will help drive forward our ambition to deliver world-leading research, and graduates who will design, shape and build a new future.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 24 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 19.3% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Free gym membership
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Informal enquiries should be directed to Yvonne Wark, Health & Safety Manager, by email to: email@example.com.
If you would like to join the team on this exciting journey, apply today!
Further information including details of how to apply are available at our website.
Closing Date: Monday, 10th April 2023
Interview Date: Wednesday, 26th April 2023 onwards (provisional)
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.