Tennis ENS Instructor
- SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
- San Diego
- 25 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 24 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Life sciences, Sport Science
- Job Type
- Professional Services, Health & Medical
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Tennis ENS Instructor
Under the supervision of the Aquaplex Coordinator, the ENS Tennis Instructor is responsible for teaching the Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced Tennis courses for the School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences (ENS) and Aztec Recreation.
This position will be required to instruct participants during the set course times on the foundations of tennis, therefore previous tennis instruction or tennis coaching experience is required. Instruction will occur at the SDSU Tennis Center, adjacent to the Aztec Aquaplex. This position helps to ensure the diverse instructional needs of the San Diego State University students and Aztec Recreation members are met while emphasizing a safe, positive, and educational environment while enforcing the Aztec Aquaplex guidelines. This position will begin for the upcoming Fall semester, with an expected start date in August to prepare.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Tennis Instruction Responsibilities:
- Instruct registered participants in the sport of tennis
- Develop and implementing lesson plans, syllabi, and learning outcomes
- Inspect program environment and equipment to insure safety; Act as first responder in class emergencies according to established procedures and certification training
- Complete administrative tasks such as skill assessment of participants, attendance sheets, class evaluations and grade submission
- Provide make-up sessions as required
- Collaborate with Aztec Recreation to market assigned courses
- Ensure customer service standards are met; respond to physical, virtual, and verbal comment cards in a timely manner
- Ensure all class cancellations are communicated promptly by contacting all participants/professional staff along with posting notifications
- Other duties assigned by Supervisor
- Utilize Google Email and Calendar; Utilize SDSU Canvas system for course assignments and grading
- Create reports/presentations utilizing Windows, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint as required/needed
- Compose memorandums/letters as needed
- Complete tasks as assigned/required
Position is supervised by Aztec Aquaplex Coordinator. Further interactions may include other full-time staff within Aztec Recreation, including, but not limited to the Recreation Associate Director, Aquaplex Manager, Aquaplex Supervisor, Building Services, Aquaplex part-time staff, SDSU Athletic coaches and staff, photographers, and videographers.
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Punctual and regular in attendance: arrive early and ready for the workday
- Complete tasks satisfactorily
- Meet commitments
- Work independently
- Stays focused during stressful situations
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal, external and student communication and filing/documentation)
Interpersonal Skills and Teamwork
- Work effectively with other employees/departments
- Develop positive working relationships
- Help improve work process and further develop courses
- Help to accomplish specific tasks
Quality and Accuracy
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
- Greet all students in a friendly and timely manner
- Assist all students and potential students with questions and/or comments
- If unable to assist, refers students to appropriate resources
- Maintain positive and effective working relationships with all students
- Inform supervisor of any student issues in a timely manner
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree preferred in Physical Education, Recreation, Kinesiology/Exercise Science Health or a related field
- Previous participation in and teaching of instructional courses and/or coaching
- Knowledge of the sport of tennis required including scoring, tennis conditioning, injury prevention, rules and technique
- Must be able to instruct beginning and intermediate tennis courses and create appropriate lesson plans/tennis workouts
- Must be available to work during scheduled course times on weekday mornings 9am-12pm (Days to be determined) for the entire Fall 2023 course semester (August 17 - December 29, 2023), additional recurring semesters offered.
- Must be able to physically lead and demonstrate tennis skills, drills and/or activities.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically; must be able to work one on one and with groups with as many as 25 students
- Strong oral and written communication skills are necessary and required as well as customer service skills
- The ability to handle difficult situations involving students with patience, good judgment, and with diplomacy is expected
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, including written and oral communication
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Must possess proficient computer skills
- Experience within a campus recreation setting desired
- American Red Cross CPR/AED and First-Aid certifications are required prior to the 1st day of work
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to coordinate multiple tasks, projects, and assignments within appropriate timelines
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position with expected hours to be worked during business hours, Monday- Thursday 9am- 12pm. Position is reoccurring for semester classes. Must be available to work during scheduled course times on weekday mornings 9am-12pm (Days to be determined) for the entire Fall 2023 course semester (August 17 - December 29, 2023), additional recurring semesters offered.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads.
Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Compensation: Part-time, starting rate is per house of class time and based on qualifications and experience. The starting rate is $25-$35/hour for class instruction time.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
To apply, visit https://cta.cadienttalent.com/index.jsp?POSTING_ID=100205728497&locale=en_US&SEQ=jobDetails&applicationName=AssociatedStudentsofSanDiegoStateUniversityPTReqExt
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency