Postdoc Position in Cardiovascular Modeling and Simulation
- Trondheim, Norway
- 24 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Engineering & Technology, Civil Engineering, Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About the job
We have a vacancy for a postdoc in the at the Department of Structural Engineering at NTNU in Trondheim, Norway.
The postdoctoral fellowship position within the field of biomechanical modeling/biomedical engineering for the cardiovascular system is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions. The position will be organized under the cardiovascular modeling project headed by Professor Leif Rune Hellevik in the Biomechanics group.
The candidate will contribute to the further development of ongoing projects within the group, according to his/her key competences. Current projects (MyMDT, ENTRHAL, atherosclerosys) focus on models for coronary artery disease diagnosis, hypertension management and treatment, uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis for cardiovascular models. Moreover, the candidate will also be expected to follow up and contribute to new projects on modeling and engineering approaches to clinical cardiovascular problems, and, in particular, to strengthen the collaboration with St. Olavs University Hospital and the Faculty of medical and health sciences in Trondheim.
You will report to the supervising Professor Leif Rune Hellevik.
Duties of the position
- Perform research, both individually and as part of the team, and publish the results in high-ranked journals and at international conferences.
- Take part in building the research group’s expertise.
- Take initiatives to new research projects and grant/funding applications for the group.
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD in Structural Engineering.
- You must have a professionally relevant background in biomechanical modeling/biomedical engineering for the cardiovascular system.
- Good written and oral English language skills.
- Have a publication record reflecting high-quality work and relevant publications for our group’s research portfolio.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Ph.D Candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate.
Preferred selection criteria
- The successful candidate has relevant experience in some of the following areas: biomechanics, biomedical engineering, numerical mathematics, uncertainty quantification, sensitivity analysis, machine learning and programming.
- The candidate must be diligent and display the ability to work independently and is expected to carry out high-quality research and to publish the results in international journals.
- Additionally, documented grant writing skills are desirable.
The successful candidate is an ambitious researcher and highly motivated to advance the current state of knowledge within clinical biomedical engineering, and has excellent grades and relevant experience.
- Strongly motivated to advance the current state of knowledge on the topic of this position.
- Team-player, but also able to work independently.
- Open to interact in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Good communication skills.
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 563 500 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The period of employment is 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees. If you have not yet completed your Ph.D, you must provide confirmation on your estimated date for the doctoral dissertation, or that your PhD thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the doctoral thesis. If you are close to submitting, or have recently submitted your thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed doctoral degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment.
- Research plan.
- Name and contact information of three referees.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is a strength. We want our faculty and staff to reflect Norway’s culturally diverse population and we continuously seek to hire the best minds. This enables NTNU to increase productivity and innovation, improve decision making processes, raise employee satisfaction, compete academically with global top-ranking institutions and carry out our social responsibilities within education and research. NTNU emphasizes accessibility and encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender identity, ability status, periods of unemployment or ethnic and cultural background.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Leif Rune Hellevik, telephone 73594535, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR konsulent June Hovde, e-mail: email@example.com.
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 05.04.2023
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Structural Engineering
We teach mechanical engineering, engineering and ICT, and civil and environmental engineering. The Department conducts internationally leading research and participates in several large national research projects. The Department of Structural Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 5th April 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service