- UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Melbourne, Australia
- $77,171 - $104,717 p.a. plus 17% super
- 23 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 21 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
Role type: Full time (part-time considered) - Fixed-term for 12 months
Faculty: Medicine Dentistry and Health Sciences
School: School of Biomedical Sciences
Salary: Level A – $77,171 - $104,717 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About – The Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity
The Doherty Institute is a world-class institute combining research in infectious disease and immunity with teaching excellence, reference laboratory diagnostic services, epidemiology and clinical services. It is a joint venture between the University of Melbourne and Melbourne Health. A new, purpose-built building for the Doherty Institute was completed in early 2014. The members of the Doherty include the Department of Microbiology and Immunology and the Microbiological Diagnostic Unit Public Health Laboratory of the University of Melbourne, the Victorian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance System, The Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, The Victorian Infectious Diseases Service, and The World Health Organisation Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Influenza.
About the Role
The Doherty Institute at the University of Melbourne seeks a highly motivated Research Assistant to join the research program of A/Prof Alexandra Corbett within the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the Peter Doherty Institute. The Corbett Lab aims to understand the biology of a specialised T cell subset, Mucosal-associated Invariant T (MAIT) cells. The successful candidate will work within a dynamic team led by A/Prof Corbett, across a range of projects.
- Contribute to the laboratory’s research program focussing on understanding the biology of Mucosal-associated Invariant T (MAIT) cells.
- Independently, and alongside other researchers, plan and carry out experiments accurately and reproducibly, focused on completion of research project aims to meet agreed timelines and milestones.
- Work closely with supervisors and collaborators to ensure timely and efficient progress towards project aims.
You will be an enthusiastic Research Assistant with a strong interest in immunology. You will have exceptional organisational skills, with the ability to work effectively within a team atmosphere and be self-motivated.
You will also have:
- BSc (Honours) degree or equivalent with a major in Immunology, Microbiology or a related discipline.
- Ability to work with senior researchers and help design, perform and analyse experiments in a timely manner.
- Strong organisation skills and accurate recording and analysis of data generated from research undertaken.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Please note: To be considered for this role you must have current valid work rights for Australia.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Applications close: 21 April 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Position description: 0059105_Research_Assistant_PD.pdf