Research Fellow (Geographic Information Science / System)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 24 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 23 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences, Social Sciences, Geography
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The Department of Geography at the National University of Singapore (NUS) invites applications for a full-time Research Fellow (RF) position in Geographic Information Science/System (GIS). The department is looking for a talented researcher to work with Dr. Yan Yingwei (PI), Dr Filip Biljecki (Co-PI), A/P Feng Chen-Chieh (NUS collaborator) and Prof. Huang Wei (collaborator from Tongji University) on an exciting project funded by the Singapore Ministry of Education titled Developing strategies for handling geoprivacy issues in social media data.
The position will be based in Singapore with an intended start date of 1 April 2023, or as soon as possible thereafter, for a period of 1.5 years. The project team is mainly based in two established NUS research groups, including the GIS Unit of the Department of Geography (https://nusgis.org/) and the Urban Analytics Lab (https://ual.sg/).
ABOUT THE RESEARCH PROJECT
It has been stressed in the GIScience research community that there is not a great deal of published knowledge or guidelines on the geoprivacy issues connected to volunteered geographic information (VGI) activities. This project focuses on geotagged social media data (GSMD, i.e., implicitly contributed VGI) and proposes to answer three research questions (RQ). RQ 1: What are the social media users’ geoprivacy awareness gaps? RQ 2: How are citizens concerned by their geoprivacies that can be elicited from GSMD at individual or aggregate levels? RQ 3: How can the traditional geoprivacy handling approaches be adapted to handle GSMD privacy issues?
THE RESEARCH FELLOW ROLES
The successful RF will lead research for answering the research questions and take the lead on delivery of key research outputs (project-focused and peer-reviewed publications in high-impact journals and conference(s)). S/he should have research experience relevant to the project goals outlined above. The candidates will join an international team of researchers. In addition to activities associated with the PI, the RF will participate in research group meetings and departmental seminars.
A prospective candidate should have the following:
- A PhD degree (or be awaiting conferment) in GIS, geography, or a closely related field from a regionally or internationally accredited institution.
- Experience in natural language processing for social media data (e.g., Twitter data)
- Programming skills in Python. R is desirable. Evidence of developed projects (e.g., Github repository) will be viewed favourably.
- Research interests in a relevant area and a record of publication (or potential to deliver) in high impact journals and/or reputable publishing houses.
- Cover letter (letter of application)
- Full curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications
- Statement on research interests, why the position at NUS is of interest, the candidate’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the research project
- Academic certificates and transcripts
- Contact Information for THREE References (one of whom should be the PhD supervisor) who would be prepared to provide confidential references.
Review of applications begins 15 February 2023 and continues until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates may be called for interview, either in person or by Zoom, as appropriate. For general inquiries, please also email Dr. Yan Yingwei: firstname.lastname@example.org.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Contract tenable for 18 months, commencing on 1 April 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter
- A competitive salary
- Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits.
- Medical benefits will be provided
- All salary and benefit-in-kind are subjected to taxation in accordance with local tax laws.
- Other benefits that the University provides and other information about working in NUS and living in Singapore are available at https://www.nus.edu.sg/careers/potentialhires/index.html
*Terms and conditions, according to university guidelines, are subject to change without prior notice.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Block AS2-03-01
Organization: National University of Singapore
Department : Geography
Employee Referral Eligible:
Job requisition ID : 18594