Associate Professor / Professor in Mechanical Engineering
- FLINDERS UNIVERSITY
- Adelaide, Australia
- $148,986 to $191,724 p.a.
- 24 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 07 May 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- Continuing | Full-Time
- Academic Level D | $148,986 - $163,910 p.a.
- Academic Level E | $191,724 p.a.
- Location: Tonsley
- View Academic Level D Position Description
- View Academic Level E Position Description
About the College of Science and Engineering
At the College of Science and Engineering we believe in the power of science and engineering to solve real world problems. We strive to advance fundamental science, to create new technologies, and to work across discipline boundaries. Our interests scale from the sub-atomic through to entire oceans, forests and beyond. We seek to understand the past, but also to create the world of the future. Our College is an exciting place to research, study, and work, supported by best practice teaching methods, practical work-related learning, and advanced facilities.
About the Role
The College of Science and Engineering is seeking an Associate Professor/Professor in Mechanical Engineering to join our talented academic staff at Flinders University. Mechanical Engineering at Flinders University is based at the new state of the art Tonsley Campus and has been identified as an area of growth.
As the Professor/Associate Professor, you will be a senior member of the academic staff and promote the College as a centre of excellence in Engineering education and research, both nationally, and internationally. As a Teaching & Research (Balanced) role, other responsibilities will include:
- Leading and providing outstanding teaching using contemporary pedagogy, a range of delivery methods, and innovative delivery methods in the broad area of engineering but with specific focus on mechanical engineering.
- Publishing high quality publications in mechanical engineering and associated areas recognised as such nationally and internationally.
- Gaining external competitive research grants and contributing to the growth in Flinders’ research income.
- Supervising to completion Flinders research students including doctoral students in Engineering and growing the PhD cohort.
- Mentoring more junior academic colleagues in the College, especially academic staff in Engineering, including co-publishing, co-supervision, and co-submission of external competitive grants.
- Contributing to or leading research on designated College and/or University themes.
While candidates from any branch of mechanical engineering will be considered, those working in one or more of the following fields are particularly encouraged to apply:
- Advanced manufacturing
- Sustainable Energy
Please note, this position is eligible for visa sponsorship and relocation support. Therefore, international applicants who do not currently hold Australian work rights are welcome to apply.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong track record of winning research grants, either Category 1 or others, industry collaboration, teaching excellence and be willing and able to take on leadership roles within the College of Science and Engineering and evidence of innovation in teaching to support students in order to maximise their learning outcomes.
Candidates will be determined to be suitable for Level D or Level E positions depending on their relevant experience. The successful candidate for a Professor in Mechanical engineering will also demonstrate:
- Completion of a PhD in an area related to mechanical engineering, or equivalent qualification.
- Significant experience in curriculum development and teaching methodology for topics and programs of study, including reviews, e-learning and internal and external accreditation activities
- A strong record of high-quality research publications and of successfully winning significant external research grants.
- Strong existing industry links and the ability to develop new links within the Tonsley Innovation District or elsewhere.
- Excellence in the supervision of honours and research higher degree students with the clear ability to build and sustain a group of research students within the College.
Supporting women in STEM
At Flinders University, we embrace and celebrate diversity and are committed to achieving gender equality in employment by identifying and removing any discriminatory employment barriers and taking action to promote gender equality in the workplace. We have been awarded Institutional Bronze Accreditation in the SAGE Athena SWAN program, recognising the University’s ongoing efforts towards achieving gender equity.
Ours is an inclusive culture that believes absolutely in equality and opportunity for all. We don't just accommodate differences; we embrace and celebrate them. So, why work at Flinders?
- 17% Superannuation + salary packaging options
- Pregnancy Support including antenatal leave, maternity leave for continuing and fixed-term employees and returning from leave support.
- Accredited with the Australian Breastfeeding Association as a breastfeeding friendly workplace.
- Breastfeeding/lactation facilities and childcare on campus
- Flexible working arrangements
- Wide range of professional development activities and services
Prescribed Conditions for Employment
- A valid National Police Certificate which is satisfactory to the University will also be required before the successful applicant can commence in this position.
- Please note that you may be required to provide evidence that you are up to date with COVID-19 vaccinations, in line with the Flinders University COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
How to Apply and Information
- You are required to submit a Suitability Statement of no more than 3 pages, addressing the Key Position Capabilities of the relevant position you are applying for: Associate Professor (Level D) Position Description or Professor (Level E) Position Description.
- For more information regarding this position, please contact Alistair Rendell.
Please note, late applications and applications sent via agencies will not be accepted.
Applications to be submitted before 10.00 pm:
07 May 2023
At Flinders we embrace and celebrate diversity and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and people of all ages, ethnicities, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.