Lecturer in Computer Science, Education Focused
- UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
- Sydney, Australia
- $97,043 p.a. - $134,403 p.a. + 17% superannuation
- 23 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 10 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Social Sciences, Education
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Full time fixed term for 27 months
- Opportunity to develop your teaching expertise in Computer Sciences, Camperdown Campus
- Level A/B offering a base salary of $97,043 p.a. - $134,403 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
Established as the first computer science department in Australia, the School of Computer Science (SCS) is research intensive and has a strong tradition of research-led teaching. The School offers undergraduate majors in computer science, information systems, data science and software development within its flagship Bachelor of Advanced Computing degree and combined degree programs with commerce and science. SCS also offers postgraduate coursework degrees in Information Technology and Information Technology Management, Data Science and the Master of Health Technology Innovation. SCS is one of the six schools in the Faculty of Engineering, which has a strong position within Australia and worldwide. To learn more about the School click here
We are currently seeking to appoint a Lecturer (Level A or Level B) in Computer Sciences to contribute to the Schools teaching and learning outcomes. We are welcoming applicants with expertise in the areas of programming, software engineering, databases and cybersecurity. This is an attractive opportunity for educators with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design. different backgrounds within Computer Sciences who can bring their own expertise, whilst benefiting from our supportive community.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Associate Lecturer or Lecturer who has:
- a PhD (or equivalent experience) in programming, software engineering, databases or cybersecurity
- demonstrated interest and passion for delivery of computing education
- capability for design of high-quality learning activities in computing education
- experience in delivery of high-quality teaching of computing, as evidenced by participation in team teaching and/or teaching in a variety of settings
- demonstrated understanding of the subject-matter within the discipline
- capability both for effective collaboration, and for independent activity
To be considered for appointment at Level B, we're looking for evidence of:
- scholarly activities in Learning and Teaching
- experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating team activities
- demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives to achieve defined learning outcomes in computing education
- relevant industry experience is desirable (essential if the applicant doesn't have a PhD)
To apply for this role, please submit a cover letter that addresses the following questions and attach it to your application:
- Describe your teaching approach and pedagogy.
- Write a teaching statement with a demonstrating example.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Linden Joseph or Rebecca Astar, Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on email@example.com.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Monday 10 April 2023 11:59 PM