Senior Lecturer APPD
- UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
- Paisley, Renfrewshire (GB)
- AC4: £54,420 to £63,059 per annum
- 22 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 13 Apr 2023
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors, Professional Services, Other Professional Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Senior Lecturer - Academic, Professional and Personal Development
Learning Transformation has a vacancy for a Senior Lecturer (Academic, Professional and Personal Development). The successful post-holder will be primarily responsible for leading the implementation of strategic education change projects, working with colleagues across the University providing leadership of strategic learning and teaching innovation and curriculum renewal for student success, initially focused on the leadership of the ASPIRE project. An objective of the UWS Curriculum Framework, ASPIRE comprises a suite of common modules providing academic advising within the curriculum and supporting student academic, professional, and personal development.
Learning Transformation is a dedicated team comprising academics, learning designers and digital learning technologists, sitting within the Directorate of Learning and Teaching Enhancement in the Office of the Pro-Vice Chancellor Learning, Teaching and Students. The post will join a team striving to continuously enhance learning, teaching and curriculum at UWS, in turn inspiring our students and wider University community and, through modern teaching and impactful research, continue to deliver innovative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges.
The post-holder will be responsible for leading the implementation of significant learning and teaching innovation and curriculum renewal across UWS aligned with the UWS Curriculum Framework, focused primarily on the delivery of the ASPIRE strategic project within the Student Experience Focus Programme and as outlined in the UWS Learning and Teaching Thematic Plan 2020-25. Key within this role is the development of an advising curriculum for student success at UWS, including the development of a programme of professional development and ongoing support for ASPIRE Advisors. Additionally, the post-holder will support the broader work of Learning Transformation through wider curriculum development activities and including contributing to academic development provision, routes to professional development and continuing professional development provision for all who teach and support learning at UWS.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- PhD, other relevant postgraduate qualification, or equivalent professional experience.
- Advance HE Fellowship or Senior Fellowship (or demonstrable ability to achieve within six months).
- Track record of learning, teaching and assessment in Higher Education, including a strong awareness of current pedagogical techniques.
- Experience of curriculum design and development. Demonstrable leadership and management of strategic projects in a university setting, from conception through to delivery, and ability to develop creative solutions to overcome challenges.
- Ability to interpret and operationalise strategic objectives, leading the delivery of strategic initiatives in learning and teaching development.
- Experience of initiating collaborative working with a broad range of stakeholders (e.g. in a project environment, within a teaching team, or creation of a special interest group/ community of practice).
- Comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of policy, research and scholarship related to supporting student success in HE, including approaches to personal tutoring/ academic advising, learning development, and academic, professional, and personal development within the curriculum.
- Ability to lead and manage teams of academic and professional services staff.
- Commitment to delivering high quality teaching and supporting an outstanding student experience.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Free gym membership
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional, career and research development opportunities
For Job Description and Person Specification: Click here
Interview Date: w/c 24th April 2023
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.