Teaching Assistant, Leadership and Public Speaking, NYUAD Summer Academy
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 22 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 01 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The NYU Abu Dhabi Summer Academy is an 18-month university preparation program designed to enhance the academic profiles of highly motivated Emirati high school students. The program features intensive instruction in Leadership and Public Speaking, Critical Thinking and Writing, Mathematical Reasoning for the Sciences, College Readiness and Success, and IELTS Preparation over the course of two summers and an intervening academic year.
Following a competitive admissions process, up to 54 program participants are selected each year as recipients of the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholarships for Outstanding High School Students, which enables them to attend the Summer Academy.
In this mixed-gender program, students are exposed to a rich cultural and rigorous academic program which enhances their ability to gain admission to and perform well at top-tier English-language universities. The program begins during the summer following the 10th year of high school and continues for the following 18 months, with two intensive summer sessions of study in Abu Dhabi at the NYUAD Campus. In addition, students participate in online study and academic refresher weekends during the following academic year.
- University Preparation - Instill in students the intellectual resources and skills necessary for success at top-tier English-language universities through the 18-month curriculum.
- Liberal Arts Education - Introduce students to the study of the humanities and to the value of a liberal arts education.
- Cultural Awareness - Develop students' understanding of the cultural norms of Western universities.
- Test Preparation - Prepare students to excel on the standardized tests necessary for university entry.
- Leadership Skills - Spur personal growth, maturity, cultivate leadership potential.
The Teaching Assistant, working to support the Leadership and Public Speaking (LPS) course, will support course delivery for up to three sections of Summer Academy students – students in their first summer of the program and students in their second summer of the program (Summer I and Summer II). The Teaching Assistant will also support programmatic activities throughout the length of the appointment (including weekends) and participate in selection activities and graduation events as needed.
Length of Appointment
- Summer Session: Five weeks from approximately July 10 - August 12, 2023
- Approximately two meetings prior to the summer session’s start for orientation activities
- Support the delivery of the LPS course to the Classes of 2023 and 2024 in Abu Dhabi
- Under the supervision of the LPS instructor(s), meet students individually or in small groups during study halls, meals, breaks, or in the evenings to assist with reviewing classroom instruction and homework assignments
- Attend any pre-program meetings and/or training sessions
- Assist the LPS instructor(s) in class with group work and with judging presentations, as necessary
- Be available to individual students and groups in need of assistance, as well as to instructors undertaking cross-curricular or collaborative projects
- Provide students with ongoing and regular feedback (oral and written) during the course
- Participate in faculty meetings by providing detailed feedback on student progress
- Report any instances of student misconduct, academic performance concerns, or health issues to the Summer Academy administration
- Contribute to the overall collegial atmosphere of the Summer Academy
- Attend and provide assistance as needed with co-curricular events and activities throughout the summer session, which will entail leading small groups of students on excursions and trips, or supporting the operations of the program as needed
About NYU Abu Dhabi
Established in partnership between New York University (NYU) and the emirate of Abu Dhabi, NYU Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) has assembled over the past decade a remarkable community of scholars, students, researchers, artists, inventors, and others who have contributed to the growth of the UAE’s capital as a global hub of knowledge and culture, while establishing a new model of higher education for today’s complex world.
NYUAD is animated by inspiring, diverse faculty, students, and staff working together in an exciting and dynamic city. As an international center of excellence in teaching and research, our goal is to attract outstanding faculty who are leaders in their fields, encouraging them to create programs that draw outstanding students and providing an intellectually rich environment.
Students are drawn from among the world’s best. They are bright, intellectually passionate, and committed to building a campus environment anchored in mutual respect, understanding, and care. The NYUAD undergraduate student body has garnered an impressive record of scholarships, graduate-school appointments, and many other global honors. Graduate education is an area of growth for the university and the current graduate student population of over 100 students is expected to expand in the next decade.
NYUAD is committed to building and strengthening a university-wide culture of inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity (IDBE). For more information on NYUAD’s commitment to IDBE and how these values create fundamental to our mission please visit https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/inclusion-diversity-belonging-and-equity.html.
Working for NYUAD
A world-class institution deserves world-class benefits. At NYUAD, we recognize that Abu Dhabi is more than where you work, it’s your home. In order for faculty to thrive, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to our top talent. This starts with a generous relocation allowance to ensure a smooth transition to Abu Dhabi, followed by a competitive salary, access to health and wellness services, plus more. NYUAD is committed to faculty success throughout the academic career trajectory, providing support for ambitious and world-class research projects and innovative, interactive teaching approaches. Support for dual-career families is a priority.
Click here for more information on benefits for you and your dependents.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensing, or Training
- Bachelor’s degree
- Availability to teach in Abu Dhabi during the dates listed above
- Ability to provide some online instruction during the dates listed above, if necessary
Preferred Education, Certifications, Licensing, or Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Leadership, or related subject
- High-school or college-level experience teaching in English
Required Work and Related Experience
- Demonstrated interest in cross-cultural education and enthusiasm for teaching
- Experience supervising high school students in a co-curricular setting (i.e. school or after school program)
- Availability to assist with the planning of the program prior to the start of classes
Preferred Work and Related Experience
- Work or internship experience teaching English as an additional language
- Familiarity with online and face-to-face instruction
Applicants must submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae in PDF format.
For instructions and information on how to apply, please visit our website at https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/careers/academic-support.html.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the program, please visit: www.nyuad.nyu.edu/summer.academy.
NYUAD is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our University, including women, under-represented minorities, and UAE nationals.
Join NYU Abu Dhabi, an exceptional place for exceptional people.
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.