Senior Lecturer, Biomedical Engineering
- UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Perth (Suburb), Western Australia (AU)
- $128,152 - $147,413 p.a. (pro-rata) plus 17% superannuation
- 22 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 05 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research
- Seeking applications from high energy, forward thinking and collaborative academics, with a track record of excellence and impact in biomedical engineering
- Full time tenurable position
- Level C: $128,152 - $147,413 p.a. (pro-rata) plus 17% superannuation
- Increased gender diversity amongst staff and students is a key priority. Therefore, women are particularly encouraged to apply.
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The School of Engineering is a multidisciplinary school offering education and research in a number of engineering disciplines. The School of Engineering has an established and dedicated team of teaching and research staff providing broad-based undergraduate programmes with solid foundations across engineering disciplines. In research, research groups often comprising transdisciplinary researchers that offer integrated solutions to a range of areas, including those in biomedical engineering.
The Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research is a leading Western Australian medical research institute, dedicated to tackling some of the world’s biggest health issues, namely cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes and genetic disease. In Perkins, world-class teams accelerate the delivery of life-saving breakthroughs to improve the health of all Western Australians both today and for future generations.
The School of Engineering at UWA and the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research (Perkins) are driving an initiative to improve diversity, equity and inclusion amongst its academic staff; increased gender diversity amongst staff and students is a key priority for the School and the Perkins. Therefore, women are particularly encouraged to apply.
About the opportunity
We currently have available a joint position between the School of Engineering and the Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research (“Perkins”). This position will build on the Biomedical Engineering@Perkins initiative, which has so far accelerated the careers of three biomedical engineers by placing them alongside clinicians to facilitate the development of clinical solutions. This has resulted in increased research funding, the development of clinical need solutions and several spinoff companies.
As a Senior Lecturer you will contribute to the development and delivery of world-class innovative teaching in the degree programmes of the School at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, with particular focus on Biomedical Engineering. You will undertake independent and collaborative research that is synergistic with the existing research groups, and generate research output of high impact with international recognition.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will have:
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering or a closely related field;
- Experience in undertaking high quality research with a clinical or biological focus;
- Strong track record of research impact relative to opportunity;
- Ability and willingness to teach and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills, and will bring diversity of thinking and decision-making to the School of Engineering and Perkins
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD 513182.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
You may also submit an additional statement (1 page max) outlining any personal circumstances which should be considered when assessing your application. Applicants who have experienced periods of academic/professional interruption or other relevant events can include a description of achievements relative to opportunity in this statement.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Wednesday, 5th April 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Prof Tim Sercombe on (08) 6488 3124 or at email@example.com
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.