- KINGS COLLEGE LONDON
- London (Greater)
- £40,386 - £47,414 including London Weighting Allowance
- 21 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health
- Job Type
- Professional Services
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Part Time
Anatomy Demonstrators teach and supervise undergraduate students in the Department of Anatomy, as well as those students studying Dental and Medical programmes. This is done via tutorial, dissections and other classes. Demonstrators are also involved in the teaching of external groups (e.g. osteopathic medicine, sport therapy, nursing etc.). They may be required occasionally to assist in the setting and marking of “spot” examinations. Some of our Demonstrators are also required to design, teach and assess a series of tutorials on the Advanced Human Anatomy module. All Demonstrators are required to produce prosections to be used for teaching.
All Demonstrators are given expert guidance on the subject of Anatomy and given training for postgraduate surgical and radiological examinations. Reasonable time will be given to sit professional surgical examinations and to attend recognised courses of study. Demonstrators will receive instruction on aspects of Clinical Anatomy relevant to the classes in which they are involved. These will be delivered by academic members of the Department responsible for organising the Dental, Medical and Science courses.
All Demonstrators are offered research opportunities, which are discussed with them upon arrival. Supervision and guidance for these projects are given by the academic staff of the Department. Demonstrators are encouraged to present their projects at a scientific meeting (e.g. British Association of Clinical Anatomy), and to submit an abstract or paper for publication. Such research is not obligatory but useful in today’s competitive postgraduate training.
Demonstrators are fully briefed on the requirements for teaching on a weekly basis.
The salary will be paid at Grade 6, Spine Point 32, [£22.78] per hour (subject to review), paid in 40-hour monthly instalments over 9-month period.
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for 9 months
This is a part-time post but teaching occurs daily during term-time. Locums are possible during the appointment by agreement.
• Teaching practical anatomy to medical, dental, BSc and MSc students.
• Preparing prosections
• Designing and running tutorials for 3rd year BSc & intercalating (i)BSc students
• Acting as Personal Tutor to iBSc students
• Supervision of anatomical projects for BSc and iBSc students
• Assessments of BSc and iBSc students (construction of exam questions and marking)
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
1. Have completed Foundation Year 2 within the last 5 years, and show a commitment to a career in surgery or other appropriate discipline
2. Demonstrate teaching experience
3. Have a sound knowledge and understanding of anatomy
4. Demonstrate leadership skills
5. Have excellent communication skills
6. Have a valid UK work permit
7. Have a pass in MRCS A
8. Have a teaching qualification (e.g. PGCert)
9. Have a BSc or iBSc qualification and/or research experience
Candidates who are shortlisted will be interviewed in the style of MMIs, which will include two short teaching sessions on anatomy topics in the dissecting room. Planned interview dates: 16/05/2023 (AM) and 18/05/2023 (PM).