Research Assistant (Biofilms in Urban Waterways)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 21 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 20 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The Singapore Centre on Environmenal Life Science Engineering (SCELSE), a Research Centre of Excellence, National University of Singapore, is looking for a Research Assistant for the project on biofilms in urban waterways .
We seek a highly motivated and organized applicant with a background in life sciences and/or molecular biology, and preferably with experience working with environmental microbiomes. The position is within a multi-disciplinary research team which broadly pursues microbial diversity and physiological investigations in urban waterways.
The full-time Research Assistant will be expected to participate in ongoing research projects and oversee daily operation of the lab and procurement for the team. Projects in the lab utilize the following techniques: field water and sediment sampling, next-generation sequencing and genotyping, microscopy, flow cytometry, advanced computations and cell sorting and metabolomics, analytical instruments such as Inductively coupled plasma – mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) and Ion Chromatography (IC). A component of the job will also include assisting and conducting field work from locations around Singapore.
The ideal applicant should have:
- a degree in life sciences or related field, specialization either in soil sciences and/or microbiology preferably including -omics approaches.
- experience with analytical instruments, PCR, cloning and other nucleic acid or metabolites manipulation is desirable.
- basic Microsoft skills in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Ability to use statistical software (such as R and Python) will be an advantage.
- strong organizational skills and communication skills, both written and oral.
- the ability to work well with others in a collaborative team environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- active participation in research projects;
- ordering and maintaining equipment and supplies;
- assisting in project related administration (e.g. budgeting, claims, reports) and operations to facilitate smooth conduct of research work; and
- assist in data analysis, preparing figures, tables and reports.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Life Sciences Institute
Department : Research & Programmes
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 19537