Research Assistant in the Division of Engineering, Prof. Farah Shamout
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 20 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 19 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, General Engineering, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The Clinical Artificial Intelligence Lab at NYU Abu Dhabi seeks to improve patient care by developing new machine learning (ML) methodologies that tackle unique computational problems in healthcare applications. We use large real-world complex datasets, including data extracted from electronic health records and medical images, for applications pertaining to patient diagnostics and prognostics.
We are seeking a Research Assistant to join the team and make significant contributions to the field. The researcher is expected to have (i) hands-on experience with machine learning and data science via course projects, internships, or work experience, and (ii) exemplary passion and motivation to pursue multidisciplinary research at the intersection of computing and healthcare. Methodologies of interest include:
- multi-modal learning,
- transfer learning,
- graph neural networks,
- and self-supervised learning.
The Research Assistant will be primarily based at NYU Abu Dhabi. The researcher will report directly to Dr. Farah Shamout and work in close collaboration with other researchers, PhD students, and undergraduate research assistants. The researcher will engage with our regular collaborators at the NYU Center for Data Science, NYU Radiology, and NYU Tandon School of Engineering, as well as local medical institutions in the UAE.
- Support the supervisor in developing and implementing the research agenda;
- Conduct high-quality and innovative research primarily focused on ML methodology development for healthcare;
- Design and implement experiments to compare proposed work with SOTA baselines;
- Publish research findings in high-impact journals and conferences;
- Communicate and present research findings at international academic gatherings;
- Create, maintain, and document high-quality research code for reproducibility;
- Maintain good practice in managing and accessing sensitive medical datasets;
- And collaborate with scientists within the NYU Global Network and in Abu Dhabi.
- Currently has or is in the process of completing a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a recognized institution
- Bachelor’s/ Master’s degree in computer science, mathematics, computer engineering, or relevant technical field
- Demonstrable research experience involving data pre-processing and preparation for machine learning models
- Demonstrable research experience in conducting experiments for training and evaluating deep neural networks
- Proficient programming experience in Python and libraries (e.g., Pytorch, TensorFlow)
- Experience in maintaining high-quality code on Github
- Experience in running and managing experiments using GPUs
- Ability to visualize experimental results and learning curves
- Effective inter-personal and team-building skills
- Self-motivated with an ability to work independently and in a team to get the work done
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written communication)
- Willingness to learn and confront new challenges
- Bachelor’s/ Master’s thesis conducted in the area of machine learning for healthcare and related topics
- First-author peer-reviewed published papers (or under review)
- Knowledge of multi-modal learning, transfer learning, graph neural networks, transformers, or self-supervised learning
- Experience in dealing with large medical datasets (e.g., electronic health records data or medical images)
- Ability to use high performance computing cluster
The appointment will be for one year, with the option to renew further depending on performance. The terms of employment are competitive and will include housing and travel subsidies. Applications will be accepted immediately and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. To be considered, candidate must submit a cover letter, up-to-date CV, research statement (1-page), project proposal summary (1-page), and at least three letters of recommendation, all in PDF format. If you have any questions that are not answered in the job advert, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications via email will NOT be considered.
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Employer
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.