Research Fellow / Engineer
- SINGAPORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (SIT)
- 20 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 19 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Chemistry
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
As a University of Applied Learning, SIT works closely with industry in our research pursuits. Our research staff will have the opportunity to be equipped with applied research skill sets that are relevant to industry demands while working on research projects in SIT.
The primary responsibility of this role is to deliver on an industry innovation research project where you will be part of the research team to develop/produce/investigate
- Synthesis of light conversion solution involving photocatalyst to absorb Infra-red light for up conversion to visible spectrum. This can involve the use of rare earth oxide nanocrystal, plasmonic multifunctional platform with the use of microbeads and metal nanocrystals for enhanced up conversion luminescence.
- Synthesis of light conversion solution for down conversion with the above technique
- Knowledge in the process such as film coating using roll to roll process and doctor blade techniques, electrospinning, ultrasonsic spray
- Able to carry out material characterisation using Scanning electron microscope, UV-VIS-IR spectrophometer, fluorescence measurement as well as other techniques.
- Participate in and manage the research project with Principal Investigator (PI), Co-PI and the research team members to ensure all project deliverables are met.
- Undertake these responsibilities in the project:
- Meet the milestone and deliverables in the project together with the PI, co-I in the team
- Prepare ITQ for the procurement of equipment as well as consumables needed in the project
- To co-supervise Final Year project students with PI and co-PIs.
- Carry out Risk Assessment, and ensure compliance with Work, Safety and Health Regulations for the various process in the project.
- Coordinate procurement and liaison with vendors/suppliers for equipment training, maintenance and operation issue.
- Work independently, as well as within a team, to ensure proper operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Support in the maintenance of the vertical farm to be setup in SIT@Dover and willing to work on
- Liaise with co-I from NetaTech and Tohoku University to apply the in-house developed light conversion film on the architectural design and system used for the UmFm.
- Taking care of the day to day operation of the umFm module unit used in vertical farm which includes handling of soil compost, irrigating of the crops and taking note of the sensors incorporation in the vertical farm inhouse.
- Have relevant competence in the areas of material science and chemical synthesis
- Have a degree in materials science/ chemistry. Possessing a Master’s or PhD degree will be advantageous with prior experience working in the laboratory for synthesis of chemical and applying it to film.
- Knowledge and interest in urban farming will be advantageous and willingness to work on composts from the waste recycler into soiled based growth unit for vertical farm