Research Fellow, School of Mathematics & Physics
- QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST
- Belfast, Northern Ireland
- £37,386 per annum
- 20 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 17 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term, Permanent
- Full Time
The School of Mathematics & Physics at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Research Fellow within the Mathematical Sciences Research Centre.
The successful applicant will be a highly productive, ambitious and collaborative member of Dr Sean Eberhard’s research group, developing and conducting individual and collaborative research objectives, particularly in the areas of algebra and combinatorics. Other duties include assisting in the supervision of student projects, organising and giving seminars on research topics, liaising with external collaborators, and engaging in outreach.
This is a four-year, fixed-term position, funded by a research grant from the Royal Society. Anticipated starting date is Oct 2023.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you have, the following:
- Obtained or are about to obtain (within 3 months) a PhD in pure mathematics.
- At least 3 years’ relevant research experience in pure mathematics, to include at least one of the following:
- Asymptotic group theory
- Number theory
- Ergodic theory.
- A strong publication track record commensurate with stage of career.
- Experience working effectively as part of a research team in the development and promotion of the research theme.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria, please click on the Candidate Information link below.
This is a fixed term post available for 4 years, or until 30 September 2027, whichever is sooner. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and International Staff Network) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/.
Attractive Reward Package
About the School
Information about the Mathematical Sciences Research Centre
Further informaion for international applicants