Research Assistant / Research Associate (ARA/ARAS)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA
- Mawson Lakes, Australia
- $74,385 - $99,759 (FTE) per annum (plus 17% superannuation)
- 20 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 02 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Other Health & Social Care, Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Based in Future Industries Institute at the Mawson Lakes Campus
- Two positions, Research Associate (FT 1.0) and Research Assistant part-time (0.5 FTE), fixed term contracts until 16 April 2024
- Salary: ARA/ARAS $74,385 - $99,759 (FTE) per annum (plus 17% superannuation)
About the Roles
The Research Assistant will contribute to the research efforts of UniSA Future Industries Institute, in particular to deliver milestones under Dr Zlatko Kopecki’s The Hospital Research Foundation project grant titled “A minimally Invasive method for early detection of malignant skin carcinoma” with The Hospital Research Foundation.
The Research Associate will also contribute to the research efforts of UniSA Future Industries Institute, in particular to deliver milestones under Dr Zlatko Kopecki’s EB Research Network grant titled “A stimuli responsive dressing for the treatment of wound infection in Epidermolysis Bullosa” and DEBRA Australia grant titled “Photo-Antibody Therapeutic Platform for the treatment of infected wounds in Epidermolysis Bullosa”.
The University of South Australia is Australia’s University of Enterprise. Our culture of innovation is anchored around global and national links to academic, research and industry partners. Our graduates are the new urban professionals, global citizens at ease with the world and ready to create and respond to change. Our research is inventive and adventurous, and we create new knowledge that is central to global economic and social prosperity.
The Future Industries Institute brings together world-class strength in high-tech manufacturing, nanomedicine, minerals and resource engineering plus environmental science, with the end goal of building economic growth through innovative partnerships and translational research. The Institute builds on the significant capability, infrastructure and reputation of the University’s existing research strengths and substantial research infrastructure and supports state and national research priorities.
- Undertake research under routine supervision to achieve project grant outcomes, i.e. assessment of the miRNA panel for identification of malignant tumour cells and development of the AI-system for screening of tumour cells
- Design and perform a range of in-vitro experiments including appropriate controls to achieve planned research outcomes and requirements of the THRF grant mentioned above
- Assist in preparing or contributing to the preparation of refereed journal publications, reports for submission to project stakeholders, and human ethics application
- Under direction from the Senior Research Fellow, provide advice to post graduate students in the appointee’s area of expertise
- Conduct high-quality research projects, under limited supervision and in collaboration with industry and other stakeholders
- Design and perform in vitro and in vivo wound studies to fulfil the requirements of the EBRN and DEBRA Australia grants mentioned above
- Prepare reports and/or report sections, for submission to project stakeholders
- Under the direction of your supervisors, provide advice to postgraduate students, internship students and visiting students in the appointee’s area of expertise
- Prepare or contribute to the preparation of refereed journal publications, conference and seminar papers arising from the research
Essential Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate Medical Sciences area relevant to the research area
- Evidence of skills and experience in cell culture
- Excellent written and oral communication skills demonstrated through written work and evidence of high-quality research outputs
- Demonstrated ability to meet project milestones
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a research team
- A PhD in wound and tissue repair, in conjunction with relevant research experience in biomaterials research and microbiology
- Demonstrated skills and experience using in vitro bacterial assays and wound assays
- Proven skills and experience using in vivo wound models of acute and biofilm infection including their analysis and interpretation
- Evidence of high-quality research output commensurate with length of research career and published and presented in appropriate forums
- Demonstrated ability to meet project milestones and train other postgraduate students
Getting a great job working with the best is just the start. UniSA rewards its staff with a wide variety of benefits such as:
- Generous superannuation contributions of 17%
- Employee assistance and development programs
- A range of salary packaging options, including vehicle leasing, laptops and car parking fees
- Corporate health insurance
- A variety of leave arrangements
As a University of Enterprise, we offer a dynamic and agile workplace culture, one that embraces challenges and thrives on breaking new ground. Our staff are creative and innovative thinkers, communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. We embrace diversity and inclusion in a vibrant, engaging environment. Our people are authentic, resilient, and influential, and we deliver results.
How to Apply
The online application form will list the specific selection criteria that you need to address.
Please address your cover letter to Amra Delibasic, Consultant: Recruitment Central For further information about the position or the recruitment process, please contact UniSA Recruitment Central on +61 8 8302 1700 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org using job reference number 4968.
Applications close: 11:30 pm Sunday, 2 April 2023
Applications welcomed from Australian or NZ citizens, Australian permanent residents and those who have the legal right to work in Australia for the term of appointment.
CLICK HERE to access a copy of the Research Assistant Position DescriptionOpens in new window
CLICK HERE to access a copy of the Research Associate Position DescriptionOpens in new window
How to apply:
Applications must be lodged online, please note UniSA does not accept applications via email.
- Start your application by clicking the ‘BEGIN’ button
- If you have already registered for an account, please login before starting your application
- If you have forgotten your log in details, click here to reset your password
UniSA is committed to developing a diverse workforce and a constructive enterprising culture in which everyone can thrive.
For further support, contact Recruitment Central on +61 8 8302 1700 or email email@example.com and you will receive a response within one working day.