- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 20 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 19 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The Student Success Unit (SSU) is seeking a well-qualified and experienced writing specialist to join the Writing Center team and fulfil teaching duties on a partially reduced load. Writing Center instructors provide expert tuition and support in English-medium reading and writing skills development for students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and from a wide range of academic disciplines.
The main duties of this position comprise:
- provision of one-to-one and small group tutorials on English-medium academic reading and writing skills; design and delivery of writing and reading skills workshops targeting students in undergraduate and postgraduate programs; development of self-access learning materials, including multimedia resources:
- teaching undergraduate courses on a partially reduced load; creating high quality instructional materials; using LMS (Blackboard) and other classroom technologies to deliver course content and support independent learning; providing timely and effective feedback to students; monitoring and evaluating student performance; maintaining accurate records of students’ progress and attendance.
A master’s degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or a closely related field; A bachelor’s degree; At least three years’ experience teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) in a higher education institution.
In addition to a master’s degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics, or related field, an additional teaching qualification, such as a DELTA, Trinity Dip TESOL, or PGCE in a relevant field, is desirable.
Experience in and commitment to student-centered instructional approach (Essential); Confidence and expertise in advising writers across academic disciplines and at different academic levels (Essential); Commitment to student success and teaching excellence (Essential); Proactive in identifying students’ learning needs and making constructive suggestions for program development (Essential); Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with students and colleagues from different linguistic and cultural backgrounds (Essential); Confident user of LMS (Blackboard), MS Office, online meeting applications and other educational technologies (Essential); Ability to work both independently and collaboratively to meet program goals (Essential); Instructional experience of professional communication/writing for the workplace, multimodal composition, and/or creative writing (Desirable); Experience in creating multimedia instructional materials and familiarity with associated software (Desirable); Experience of leading, or contributing to, student engagement initiatives (Desirable).
Special Instructions to Applicant
Apply with CV & cover letter at: https://jobs.uaeu.ac. The UAE requires instructors to receive MoE equivalency for their degrees.
Start date: Aug '23
Division University College
Department Student Success Unit - UC
Job Close Date open until filled
Job Category Academic - Faculty