Research Fellow in Computational Geotechnical Engineering (Applied A.I. and Machine Learning)
- UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Melbourne, Australia
- $77,171 - $104,717 p.a. (pro-rata for part-time) plus 17% super
- 17 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 12 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Part Time
Role type: Part time (0.8FTE); Fixed-term for 12 months
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: Department of Infrastructure Engineering
Salary: Level A – $77,171 - $104,717 p.a. (pro-rata for part-time) plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About - Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) has been the leading Australian provider of engineering and IT education and research for over 150 years. We are a multidisciplinary School organised into three key areas; Computing and Information Systems (CIS), Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (CBE) and Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI). FEIT continues to attract top staff and students with a global reputation and has a commitment to knowledge for the betterment of society.
About - Department of Infrastructure Engineering
Combining civil engineering, environmental engineering and geomatics in one department creates a broad scope for our research and engineering education. Our focus is to solve infrastructure problems in a sustainable way.
The Departmental philosophy is to attract and retain the highest quality staff available in order to maintain a vigorous research effort. Our strategic plan is to address the most urgent contemporary problems of our rapidly developing industrial society, with investigations into the engineered and natural environment.
About the Role
You will conduct independent research, leading to the preparation and publication of research outcomes in conferences and journals. You will be located in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering in the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) and will be expected to be an active member of the Department, collaborating with other researchers. You may undertake small amounts of teaching and research supervision directly related to your area of research, as required.
- Independently leading, planning and carrying out research on the nominated research project and work towards completion of the aims of the project
- Developing effective timelines and milestones based on goals of the research programme
- Performing data analysis and AI/ML development, and other computational modelling (programming) using various databases
- Actively participating in the communication and dissemination of research
*Full list of responsibilities can be found on the Position description.
To be successful in this role you will bring strong communication and writing skills as well as an excellent ability in analysing data, problem solving and maintaining accurate research records. You will have experience in using initiative, working with minimal supervision and ability to prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines. You will have excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders (academic, administrative and support staff) in a courteous and effective manner.
You will also have:
- A PhD in computer science, mathematics, geotechnical or civil engineering, computational engineering or other closely related disciplines
- Strong experience with Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine (Deep) Learning (ML), Data Analytics, and Probabilistic/Statistical Methods
- Strong Python programming and experience with AI/ML Python libraries
- A record of quality research as evidenced by publications in leading journals and at conferences commensurate with opportunity
- Ability to perform independent research and a commitment to interdisciplinary research
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums and through manuscript submissions
- Capability for innovative research, as evidenced by scholarly publication
*Additional selection criteria are listed on the Position Description.
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
Please note: To be considered for this role you must have current valid work rights for Australia.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position description: 0058980_Research Fellow in Computational Geotechnical Engineering (Applied Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning)_PD.pdf
Applications close: 12 Apr 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time