Research Associate (Social Science)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 17 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Sociology
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The LKY School of Public Policy is seeking a Research Associate who will assist with ongoing projects in the field of social science, including financial literacy, economics of aging, social security, and public policy.
The successful candidate should have an interest in one or more of the above-listed topics, as well as the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and a strong willingness to learn about new topics. The candidate must demonstrate some competence in quantitative research methods, and be proficient with statistical software such as STATA or R. Excellent written and spoken English is essential.
This position requires a minimum of two years of professional research experience or working in a research environment (in any field). This position requires working with large datasets, and caters to individuals who are looking to develop a career or pursue further studies in the fields of public policy or social science research. The Research Associate will work directly with Asst Professor Joelle Fong (weblink).
Responsibilities of the full-time Research Associate include:
- Research support for projects under a 5-year research programme
- Conduct literature reviews
- Perform quantitative data analysis on research projects.
- Independently collect and manage primary and/or secondary data for research projects
- Contribute to writing research reports, policy briefs, and journal articles
- Prepare manuscripts for submission, and other administrative work.
- Have a Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in the social sciences from a reputable university.
- Minimum of two years of full-time professional research experience or work in a research environment (in any field).
- Demonstrate strong programming skills using either Stata or R (experience with other programs is a plus)
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Self-motivated and attention to detail.
- Able to commit to at least 1 year of service. This is a one-year fixed-term appointment, with the possibility of renewal.
- Optional: Familiarity with social policies on retirement and health is a plus.
- Please e-mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter, with a brief statement of relevant research experience
- Curriculum vitae (four-page max)
- Two writing samples (preferably related to the above-listed topics)
- Two references/letters of recommendation from academic referees. Applicants must arrange for their referees to separately email their references.
Your cover letter should include details such as your highest qualifications, last drawn salary (if applicable), expected salary, and country of citizenship. Please also state when you can begin work, if you are selected for the role.
(We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.)
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.