Research Fellow, Department of Biochemistry
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 17 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemistry
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The National University of Singapore invites applications for Research Fellow in the lab of Assistant Prof. Vincenzo Sorrentino, part of the Department of Biochemistry and of the Healthy Longevity Translational Research Programme, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. The Dept. of Biochemistry and the Healthy Longevity TRP, with their vanguard integrative research programs, and state-of-the-art facilities to promote basic, clinical and transformative research, aim at leading the field of prevention, early detection and precise management of diseases at every stage of life. By bridging preclinical and clinical research, a major focus of our research is to develop interventions to delay ageing and chronic disease onset, to improve life quality. Appointments will be on a 1-year contract in the first instance, with the possibility of extension.
Purpose of the post
The Research Fellow (RF) will be responsible to Assistant Prof. Vincenzo Sorrentino and work with a team of researchers. The projects explore the interconnectivity and possible therapeutic targeting of the cellular hallmarks of the aging process, with a particular focus on mitochondrial dysfunction, protein aggregation and alterations of NAD+ metabolism. For Prof. Sorrentino’s related articles to this field:
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Fellow is expected to:
- Manage and drive one or more research projects, design and execute experiments, assimilate and interpret results;
- Solve scientific problems, think independently, and suggest creative solutions;
- Write papers together with the PI for publication in high-impact journals;
- Mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
The applicant should:
- Hold a PhD degree in molecular biology, bioengineering, or a related field;
- First-author publication(s) in internationally recognized journals in the fields of biochemistry, molecular biology or physiology;
- Experience in approaches of biochemistry, bioinformatics, molecular biology, cell culture and animal experimentation;
- Motivation and ability to keep abreast of the current literature as well as his/her own experiments;
- Willingness to interact with other members of the laboratory in a way that raises the scientific excellence of the whole group;
- Excellent scientific writing and oral presentation skills;
- Be passionate about science, self-motivated, naturally take ownership of assignments, and proactively propose solutions to arising obstacles.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made to Prof. Vincenzo Sorrentino, at email@example.com
Please submit your application of
- letter of motivation describing the applicant’s relevant experience and research interests;
- full CV (up to two pages) including personal particulars, academic and employment history, complete list of publications/oral presentations, and contacts of 3 referees;
- indication of current/expected salary, to this job portal.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department : Biochemistry
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 18561