Research Assistant (Department of Biochemistry)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 17 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemistry
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The National University of Singapore invites applications for a Research Assistant in the lab of Assistant Prof. Vincenzo Sorrentino, part of the Department of Biochemistry and of the Healthy Longevity Translational Research Programme, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. The Dept. of Biochemistry and the Healthy Longevity TRP, with their vanguard integrative research programs, and state-of-the-art facilities to promote basic, clinical and transformative research, aim at leading the field of prevention, early detection and precise management of diseases at every stage of life. By bridging preclinical and clinical research, a major focus of our research is to develop interventions to delay ageing and chronic disease onset, to improve life quality. Appointments will be on a 1-year contract in the first instance, with the possibility of extension.
Purpose of the post
The Research Assistant (RA) will be responsible to, and work closely with, Assistant Prof. Vincenzo Sorrentino to provide support in research projects, lab management and procurement, operations and safety in Dr. Sorrentino’s laboratories. The RA is expected to facilitate team members’ onboarding and provide experimental support to the team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The RA is expected to:
- Manage laboratory operation and management in relation to creation, review and revision of risk assessment and SOPs, materials’ inventory, procurement, post-procurement processing, equipment maintenance, asset management, safety trainings, housekeeping of safety tools in Prof Sorrentino’s laboratory;
- Provide administrative and experimental support to the projects, such as collaborating with other members of the research team, arranging materials transfers with collaborators, and keep track of ordering materials needed and arranging lab duties for the different members;
- Execute on other tasks including facilitating lab visits, audit/inspections as delegated by the PI;
- Maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and record keeping in accordance with policies and procedures
The applicant should:
- Have a first degree with good results or holds a Bachelor’s degree in life sciences, biochemistry or related disciplines;
- Be passionate about lab safety, operations and management, self-motivated, naturally take ownership of assignments, and proactively propose solutions to arising obstacles;
- Be able to work independently and in a team, have an investigative nature, attention to detail;
- Have knowledge of computer applications, e.g. MS office, PowerPoint, GraphPad;
- Experiences in preclinical areas of research, e.g. cell/tissue culture, model organisms experimental design and execution (rodents, nematodes) would be of great advantage
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made to Prof. Vincenzo Sorrentino, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Formal application:
Please submit your application of
- letter of motivation describing the applicant’s relevant experience and interest in joining the lab;
- full CV (up to two pages) including personal particulars, academic and employment history, complete list of publications/oral presentations, and contacts of 3 referees;
- indication of current/expected salary, to this job portal.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Department : Biochemistry
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 18560