Research Engineer (Mechanics and Machine Learning)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 17 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Civil Engineering, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Physical Sciences, Physics & Astronomy
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The degradation of building façade materials such as sealants, gaskets or cement plasters, can be due to weathering which causes the materials to harden and dry out, or exposure to ultraviolet light/ thermal conditions. This project focuses on the service life prediction of these materials, subject to the cyclical environmental loading conditions. A mechanism based degradation model for the selected façade material is to be developed, calibrated and validated against laboratory data obtained from accelerated weathering tests. To capture the intricate relations between different environmental loads, the project will work towards the development of a coupled mechanism model (e.g. hydro-thermal degradation), to enable the climate parameters (temperature cycles, precipitation, etc.) to be better implemented in the service life prediction. The candidate will have to use machine learning techniques to come out with prediction models using the test data from the field specimens, accelerated weathering samples and also numerical simulation results.
- Possess at least a recognised Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computational Physics or any disciplines relevant to the project.
- Proficient in: mechanics of materials, non-linear finite element techniques (theory, numerical implementation, analysis) and numerical methods
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in constitutive model development, writing of subroutines for FE implementation and machine Learning.
- Open to fixed-term contract
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: College of Design and Engineering
Department : Civil and Environmental Engineering
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 18540