Research Associate in Energy Studies Institute (Specialised in AI and ML)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 17 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Energy Studies Institute (ESI)
The Energy Studies Institute (ESI) is a research institute at the National University of Singapore seeking to advance the understanding of energy policy issues by conducting independent research and analysis. We are looking for researchers to join a multi-disciplinary team carrying out research projects on a range of energy issues that are of concern to Singapore and the region.
The Institute is looking to recruit a specialist in statistics, computer science or a related discipline, and specifically with experience in the application of artificial intelligence (AI) and/or machine learning (ML) tools, at the rank of Research Associate. The appointed staff will operate under the responsibility of the Institute Head and work closely with members across each of the institute’s divisions and various research programmes.
Candidates are expected to be comfortable in the application of AI and ML techniques for data analytics and visualization, which may range from data/image classification tasks, to language process, to forecasting and prediction. Experience in deployment of modern computer science techniques and workflows for upgrading and optimizing research output would be advantageous. An understanding of Singapore’s economic system, and local work experience is desirable.
This will initially be a two-year position, with the possibility for renewal subject to satisfactory performance and finance.
Commensurate with experience and rank:
- As a Research Associate you will be expected to lead or support development of project proposals.
- To take an active role in the development of project reports, but also to be willing to contribute expertise to projects managed by other research staff within the institute.
- To develop and present ideas to the Institute Head, and senior research staff (Division Heads) on opportunities to integrate and complement computer science techniques (including AI and ML based analyses) into our existing research projects.
- To collect, clean and analyse data across various different projects.
- This may also involve scanning for and introducing datasets, which ESI’s existing researchers may not yet have utilised or considered.
- To assist preparations and hosting for public events, such as workshops and conferences.
The specific area of work will depend on the priorities of the institute at any given point in time.
- Possess a Master’s degree in computer science, data science, statistics or other related fields with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Applicants should have demonstrated experience in quantitative data analysis.
- A good contemporary understanding and interest in energy and environmental issues.
- Relevant working and practical experience in industry or government agencies in the area of energy and environment in Singapore would be highly valuable.
- Track record of publications in reputable journals would be an advantage.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
To apply for this position, please combine the following documents in 1 PDF and attach it under the CV column when submitting your application:
- Curriculum vitae
- A cover letter, of no more than 800 words, explaining the applicant’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the research project
Interested candidates, please submit your application with all the required documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Shortlisted applicants may be called for interview, either in person or by zoom, as appropriate. If you have not heard from us within 3 months, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Energy Studies Institute
Department : Energy Studies Institute
Job requisition ID : 18536