Post Doctoral Fellow, Geochemistry/Radiochemistry
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 17 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 16 Apr 2023
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Full Time
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral, experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Perform laboratory and field experiments, including integral and separate-effect experiments, to describe retention/transport of radionuclides in the surface and transfer factors of radionuclides in representative plants.
- Obtain experimental parameters describing the retention/migration of radionuclides in the environment.
- Study the sorption equilibriums, rock characterization, waters characterization, soils characterization, soil/plant Interaction, and the transfer properties of radionuclides of interests in an area of interest.
- Assess radionuclide transport in a range of surface water and shallow groundwater systems at tracing the migration of radionuclides in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.
- Assist transport modeling in assessments of the radiological impact of a geological repository for radioactive wastes.
- Analyze model outputs together with the experimental data, available from literature, to generate scientific results and science-based recommendations.
- To independently undertake research in the relevant discipline area using the appropriate methods and/or techniques.
- To produce research reports and publications as required by the funding body and for dissemination to the wider academic community.
- To collaborate with research colleagues and support staff internally as appropriate to the actively.
- Develop appropriate external contacts and networks relevant to the project and to future funding opportunities.
- To attend, contribute, and where necessary lead relevant meetings.
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the research group activities.
In this project, experiments will be performed to understand the environmental impact of radionuclides produced by fission and neutron capture reactions occurring in nuclear reactors. The environmental impact, an important aspect of the safety case demonstration, involves the radionuclides transfer (surface, underground) in the near- and the far-field and their attempt of the human being via the food chain and drinking water. Also, understanding radionuclides fate in the environment is valuable to the field of radioactive waste management, another critical matter of the success of a nuclear energy program. The radioactive waste disposal implies the interactions of radionuclides and geosphere under surface (mid- and low-level short life waste disposal) and deep geological conditions (e.g. high-level long life waste disposal). The objectives of the project are to obtain experimental parameters describing the retention/migration of radionuclides in the environment that ultimately will be used for modelling.
Interested candidates should send their CV and a detailed cover letter to: email@example.com
Qualifications & Experience
- A PhD degree in Geochemistry/Radiochemistry or a closely related discipline.
- Strong expertise in radiological, chemical and physical characterization of the surface retention/transport of radionuclides in the surface, and transfer factors to plants.
- Good expertise in batch sorption, percolation, and diffusion experiments.
- High motivation and a solid desire to actively participate in experiments and numerical modelling as well as to propose and undertake initiatives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; effective interpersonal skills to work effectively within a scientifically diverse team.
- Ability to successfully report and publish research results in Q1 journals.
- Good knowledge of nuclear power plants is desired but not required.
- Good programming skills with C/C++, Python and Fortran are desired but not required.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location: KUK – Khalifa University
Job: Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Type: Full-time