Pre-Clinical Project Manager
- MEDICAL RESEARCH COUNCIL (MRC)
- Oxfordshire (GB)
- £40,016 - £53,270 per annum
- 16 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 10 Apr 2023
- MLC 2108
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Other Health & Social Care
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Medical Research Council - Mary Lyon Centre
Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
£40,016 - £53,270 per annum
The Mary Lyon Centre at MRC Harwell (MLC) https://www.har.mrc.ac.uk is the MRC’s national facility for mouse genetics, specilaising in the preclinical studies and innovative life science technologies. The MLC has the mission to support and enable progressive translational research for the entire UK biomedical community. We are central to many exciting and ground breaking projects aimed at developing therapies for a wide range of human diseases.
About the Role
This is an unique opportunity for the successful candidate to work across projects in many different areas of disease research, from understanding the biology of genetic disease, to pre-clinical testing of models and novel therapeutics. This post will be a main point of contact for top UK researchers, and lead in advising, planning and organising experiments using genetically altered mouse models. In addition to academic projects, there will also be work with pharmaceutical companies and small biotechs, using and developing state of the art treatment strategies that could make a real difference to many people suffering from a range of genetic diseases.
Candidates will have a strong scientific background, including experience in experimental design, as well as good knowledge of molecular biology and key laboratory techniques used in genetic studies. They must be extremely organised, able to work across multiple projects and coordinate work between different teams.
- Key point of contact for researchers to set up new projects, including requirement gathering, understanding their needs to suggest and advise on the best course of action, checking relevant licencing, and generating detailed experimental plans.
- Responsible for the delivery and completion of experimental plans, communicating between teams to ensure that all work is carried out on time and to the correct standards.
- Plan and monitor breeding schemes, including complex genetic crosses.
- Lead meetings with research groups to update each other on progress and future plans.
Essential skills and qualifications
- PhD in Genetics or Biology related subject.
- Post-doctoral or equivalent position managing a research project
- Experience in laboratory techniques common in genetically modified mouse studies, e.g. western blotting, PCR, tissue culture
- Experience designing studies
- Genuine interest in the welfare of animals
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously and make decisions
- Good communication and ability to work across multiple teams
- Self-motivated and positive influence on other team members
For the full job description, please visit our site on the link below.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC (part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)) means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits, from a defined-benefit pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement, to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and a salary sacrifice cycle-to-work scheme. In addition, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the work of a world-class medical research organisation.
How to Apply
For full details and to apply, please click apply. Please quote reference MLC 2108
The closing date for applications is 10 April 2023