Research Associate for NGS Data Management / Developer for Web-Applications and Databases
- Dresden, Sachsen (DE)
- 16 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 13 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Associate
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Technische Universität Dresden (TUD), as a University of Excellence, is one of the leading and most dynamic research institutions in the country. Founded in 1828, today it is a globally oriented, regionally anchored top university as it focuses on the grand challenges of the 21st century. lt develops innovative solutions for the world's most pressing issues. In research and academic programs, the university unites the natural and engineering sciences with the humanities, social sciences and medicine. This wide range of disciplines is a special feature, facilitating interdisciplinarity and transfer of science to society. As a modern employer, it offers attractive working conditions to all employees in teaching, research, technology and administration. The goal is to promote and develop their individual abilities while empowering everyone to reach their full potential. TUD embodies a university culture that is characterized by cosmopolitanism, mutual appreciation, thriving innovation and active participation. For TUD diversity is an essential feature and a quality criterion of an excellent university. Accordingly, we welcome all applicants who would like to commit themselves, their achievements and productivity to the success of the whole institution.
The DRESDEN-concept Genome Center of the Center for Molecular and Cellular Bioengineering (CMCB) offers a project position as
Research Associate (m/f/x)
for NGS Data Management / Developer for Web-Applications and Databases
(subject to personal qualification employees are remunerated according to salary group E 13 TV-L)
starting as soon as possible and limited until September 30, 2025. The period of employment is governed by § 2 (2) Fixed Term Research Contracts Act (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz-WissZeitVG).
The DRESDEN-concept Genome Center (DcGC) and is together with the Center for Information Services and High Performance Computing (ZIH), of the TU Dresden one of six German Human Genome-Phenome Archive (GHGA) data hubs that will produce and store sequencing data, and provide a gateway for data access. The main goal is to provide a secure archive for human high-throughput sequencing data and infrastructure for data analysis to the National Research Data Infrastructure Germany (NFDI).
Tasks: This position will be a challenging and exciting opportunity for candidates who are keen on working at the interface between IT development and infrastructure in science. The main part is the implementation of interfaces which link the sample management system and storage structure of DcGC to its counterpart infrastructure at GHGA. Secondly, the successful applicant will handle customer support, data access and upload requests of sequencing data to GHGA and processes data ingest, metadata validation and quality control. Both tasks will happen in close interaction with the ZIH and the relevant GHGA working groups, in particular
- setup necessary interfaces that link DcGC with GHGA
- setup a database to store and manage metadata information
- build and design a portal for data submission and information visualization
- develop data security concepts handling human data in collaboration with ZIH and TU Dresden Information Security
- validation of sequencing data and metadata for submission into GHGA
- handling data access requests and work on tasks as part of the GHGA data steward team
- contribute to the relevant GHGA working groups.
- university degree (German Diploma, Master's degree) in computer science, data science, computational biology, bioinformatics or a related field of natural sciences
- experience and expertise in the development of data management / data curation
- willingness to familiarize yourself with an existing comprehensive software solution with a complex data structure and to help develop it further
- experience in the conception of web-based user interfaces/user guidance and confident handling of HTML/CSS
- good skills in spoken and written German and English
- open-minded and motivated to push the tasks
- high motivation and the ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Understanding of sequencing technologies and/or data security is beneficial.
TUD strives to employ more women in academia and research. We therefore expressly encourage women to apply. The University is a certified family-friendly university and offers a Dual Career Service. We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities. If multiple candidates prove to be equally qualified, those with disabilities or with equivalent status pursuant to the German Social Code IX (SGB IX) will receive priority for employment.
Please submit your comprehensive application including a letter of motivation and a CV in English as well as certificates by April 13, 2023 (stamped arrival date applies), preferably via the TU Dresden SecureMail Portal https://securemail.tu-dresden.de by sending it as a single pdf-document to email@example.com or to: TU Dresden, CMCB Technologieplattform, z. Hd. Lisa Lehmann, Tatzberg 47-49, 01307 Dresden. Please submit copies only, as your application will not be returned to you. Expenses incurred in attending interviews cannot be reimbursed.
Reference to data protection: Your data protection rights, the purpose for which your data will be processed, as well as further information about data protection is available to you on the website: https://tu-dresden.de/karriere/datenschutzhinweis.