Research Engineer (Robot Control)
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 15 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 14 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics
- Job Type
- Research Related, Other Research Related
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
One Research Engineer position is open in the research group of Assistant Professor Zhao Lin, at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National University of Singapore (NUS).
The Research Engineer (will) will work closely with the Principal Investigator (PI) on reinforcement learning control and learning-based control, which leverage the advantages of both deep learning and conventional controls with theoretical guarantees. The RE will develop AI-assisted planning and control algorithms that enable intelligent and robust autonomous operations and multi-agent collaborations. Hardware experiments will be carried out to test and demonstrate the applications of the developed algorithms.
The research project involves (1) theoretical research in control, learning, and optimization, (2) developing new control and learning algorithms, and (3) 3D Simulations and real hardware experiments.
- Possess a recognised bachelor’s or master’s degree in either Electrical Engineering or strictly related (e.g., Mathematics, Computer, Communication, Mechanical, or Information Engineering).
- Have expertise in control theory, reinforcement learning theory, and aerial robotics.
- Have research experiences in control, reinforcement learning, distributed optimization, multi-agent, autonomous driving, and/or UAVs.
- Possess a strong academic record proved through coursework (especially math-intensive courses) and projects during his/her undergraduate and master’s studies.
- Proficient in C++ or Python. Familiar with machine-learning tools and packages. Familiar with various 3D simulation environments for quadrotor simulations. Familiar with ROS and quadrotor control algorithm.
- Have well-established analytical and problem-solving skills, as documented by publications that are relevant to the field of control theory and robotics applications, reinforcement learning control for robotics applications.
- Excellent communication skills as he/she is required to publish and present results at conferences and journals independently.
- Activity performed in world-class research environments is highly valued.
- A successful candidate should have a solid mathematical background (such as in calculus, linear algebra, ODE/PDE, optimization, real analysis, probability theory, stochastic process, etc).
- Strong publication records in leading journals and conferences, and practical hands-on experience in applying reinforcement learning to real robotics applications (e.g., autonomous driving and unmanned aerial vehicles) is preferred.
- Open to fixed term contract
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: College of Design and Engineering
Department : Electrical and Computer Engineering
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 18904