PhD Candidate in Circular Economy and Sustainability
- Alesund, Norway
- 15 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 21 May 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Business & Economics, Business & Management, Economics & Econometrics
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About the job
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The Department of International Business at NTNU in Ålesund is seeking a PhD Candidate in Circular Economy and Sustainability. The aim of this scholarship is to design, develop, and validate a decision support model toward implementing circular economy in M&R industries to solve some of the sustainability challenges faced by the industries.
This PhD-position is one of six scholarship positions funded by Møre and Romsdal (M&R) County with the aim to build knowledge, competence and competitiveness under a common overall theme "Circular systems for a sustainable Møre and Romsdal". The research and capacity building will be done through close collaboration with the industries in the region as well as with research and education institutions. As a PhD candidate in this program, you will be part of this network.
The research will contribute to the green transition by optimization of technological, economical, and strategical measures that support the implementation of sustainability strategies and circular business models. Methods that are relevant in the research should be anchored in all three pillars of sustainability (economy, environment, and society), and in existing standards and methods, further developed and adapted to relevant industry cases within the county.
Duties of the position
The main purpose of the PhD project is to develop a dynamic life cycle analysis model to be used as a support for decision making towards implementing circular solutions and sustainable business models across industries in M&R. Research activities may encompass:
- Develop a dynamic life cycle analysis tool for predicting economic and environmental impacts of industrial activities.
- Demonstrate the tool as decision support for implementation of sustainability and circularity in business models.
- Contribute to realize real operational measures for supporting industrial symbioses.
- Dissemination of results in acknowledged journals and conference proceedings
- Active participation and contribution to the research arena Sustainability Analytics at NTNU in Ålesund
- Participate in the PhD networks within “Circular Systems” in M&R
Required selection criteria
- Master’s degree in economics, business/industrial economics, industrial ecology or similar
- Knowledge of regional industries
- Meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program (PhD - NTNU )
You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies with an average grade B or better from the master's degree program or equivalent education. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for an education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Phd candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- A relevant background in conducting life cycle analysis
- Knowledge of system-based thinking and industrial symbioses
- Good written and oral English skills
- Good knowledge of Norwegian or other Scandinavian languages
- Scientific publications in fields relevant for the position
- Ability to work independently
- Close working relationships with both the industrial and academic partners
- Analytical skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills in an academic setting.
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasized
- professional development in a large, exciting, and socially influential organization
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The period of employment is 3 years. The position is remunerated in code 1017, renumerated at gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Academic work and R&D projects, as well as a list of these
- Name and contact information of three referees
- Any other relevant documentation
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality. (tas bort hvis ikke aktuelt)
The city of Ålesund, with its population of 50 000, will provide you with plenty of opportunities to explore a region of Norway that is famous for its beautiful scenery with high mountains and blue fjords. Ålesund itself, with its Art Nouveau architecture, is by many considered to be the most beautiful city in Norway! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact professor Annik Magerholm Fet, telephone: 92296890, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or professor Erik Nesset, telephone: 90857577, e-mail: email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Oddny Lyngvær, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 21.05.2023
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of International Business
We are part of the Ålesund Campus. The Department’s core expertise, in which marketing, innovation and entrepreneurship play a key role, is closely linked to the region’s needs. We also conduct research and teaching in economics, business administration, marketing, commercial and management subjects. Together with local business and industry, we have created a research laboratory to enable research and development in service innovation, entrepreneurship, finance and technology. The Department of International Business is one of four departments in the Faculty of Economics and Management.
Deadline 21st May 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Ålesund