PhD Candidate in Nuclear Propulsion
- Alesund, Norway
- 15 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 15 May 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About the job
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
Nuclear propulsion has been used by navies for more than 50 years, but merchant shipping has not caught on ultimately due to costs. The NuProShip I project is one of the first projects in the world trying to rejuvenate the idea of nuclear propulsion for merchant shipping based on entirely new reactor technologies. These new reactor technologies are so called Generation IV technologies unlike nuclear propulsion today and in the past which are Generation II and III. The project is to complete a concept and feasibility study leading to a follow-up project where the technologies will be developed. However, not all issues are covered in sufficient details.
One key issue is how to handle surplus energy from the reactor when the ship is either at quay or in an operational mode where there is significant rest energy. Another part of the challenge lies in handling potential transient energy requirements. The overall propulsion system configuration is a third issue. Cost effectiveness is also key for the entire ship system with minimum life-cycle emissions and no unacceptable risks.
Your immediate leader is Head of department.
Duties of the position
- perform cutting edge research
- conduct academic writing and publishing project results in acknowledged peer-reviewed journals
- contribute into relevant ingoing projects such as NuProShip I
- interact with undergraduate students/teaching
- report progress on a regular basis and in agreement with supervisors
Required selection criteria
- professionally relevant background in engineering
- your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- you must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education
- master's students can apply, but the master's degree must be obtained and documented
- you must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program. Information about PhD-studies at IV-faculty found here.
- good written and oral English language skills
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Phd candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- higher grades in typical engineering subjects
- knowledge, education or experience regarding nuclear engineering, thermal energy generation or the like
- experience in programming or the like
- experience from field work in or the like
- knowledge, education or experience in marine propulsion systems
- knowledge, education or experience in energy load management systems
- strong capabilities in analytical thinking
- positive attitude
- good communications skills
- ability to take initiative and to work independently
- self-motivated, enthusiastic, and dedicated
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities, and motivation for the position.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 4 years (with 25 % teaching/mentoring/project-related work duties / pliktarbeid).
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Engineering (link to website here) within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- Letter of motivation
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Project proposal (2-3 pages)
- Name and contact information of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality. (tas bort hvis ikke aktuelt)
The city of Ålesund, with its population of 50 000, will provide you with plenty of opportunities to explore a region of Norway that is famous for its beautiful scenery with high mountains and blue fjords. Ålesund itself, with its Art Nouveau architecture, is by many considered to be the most beautiful city in Norway! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Jan Emblemsvåg, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Linda Mentzoni Granmo, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 2023.05.15 (15. mai 2023)
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering
We aim to be a hub of international knowledge and innovation in maritime operations. This involves education and research on the design of ships and marine equipment as well as on the operation of vessels. Maritime operations integrate technology, human factors and business. The interfaces between these areas often spark inspiration for innovation and new solutions. The Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 15th May 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service NTNU Ålesund/Campus Ålesund