Head of Learning Transformation
- UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF SCOTLAND
- Paisley, Renfrewshire (GB)
- SS1: £67,542 - £75,627 per annum
- 14 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 04 Apr 2023
- Job Type
- Senior Management & Heads of Department, Heads of department / Chairs of department, Professional Services, IT Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
35 hours per week
Learning Transformation at the University of the West of Scotland has an exciting vacancy for a new Head of Department. The successful post-holder will be responsible for leading the implementation of key education change projects across UWS, specifically in the areas of curriculum design, digital learning and teaching, and academic development. This role is an opportunity for an ambitious, focused and innovative professional with a proven track record in learning and teaching and the ability to lead a multi-functional department to effectively deliver strategic priorities in learning and teaching.
Learning Transformation is a dedicated team comprising academics, learning designers and digital learning technologists. The team sits alongside QuEST - the UWS Quality Enhancement & Standards Team - within the newly formed Directorate of Learning and Teaching Enhancement in the Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor Learning, Teaching and Students. You will join us as we strive to continuously enhance learning, teaching and curriculum at UWS, in turn inspiring our students and wider University community and, through modern teaching and impactful research, continue to deliver innovative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges.
The postholder will be responsible for leading Learning Transformation in the implementation of significant learning and teaching innovation and curriculum renewal across UWS aligned with the UWS Curriculum Framework, and three focus programmes of Student Experience, Digital Transformation and Organisational Effectiveness. This will include the development, delivery and review of academic development provision, routes to professional recognition, and continuing professional development provision for all who teach and support learning at UWS.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- PhD/ equivalent professional qualification or equivalent professional experience relevant to the role.
- Advance HE Senior Fellowship/ Principal Fellowship or demonstrable ability to achieve within six months of appointment.
- Significant experience of leading programmes of support for academic colleagues in using and integrating digital technologies into teaching and learning.
- Significant experience of leading successful professional academic development activities and taught provision, including accredited provision.
- Comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of technologies used in learning and teaching, including VLEs and the underlying technologies on which they are based.
- Excellent management and leadership skills with a proven capacity to engage and motivate staff, at times within challenging time frames, and manage the performance of a focused team in the delivery of strategic objectives.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, with an ability to clearly communicate complex information in written and oral briefings including negotiating and influencing at all levels internally in the University and including external bodies.
- Significant experience of leading curriculum development activities with demonstrable impact.
- Extensive experience of leading collaborative educational change projects across functional or discipline boundaries.
Informal enquiries about the post can be made to Dr Alison Gilmour, Director of Learning and Teaching Enhancement: Alison.Gilmour@uws.ac.uk
Further information, including details of how to apply, is available at https://jobs.uws.ac.uk
Closing Date: Tuesday 4th April 2023
Interview Date: Week Commencing Monday 17th April 2023
The University reserves the right to shorten/extend the closing date of any position where a high/low volume of suitable applications are received. Therefore, if you are interested in this role, an early application would be encouraged.
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520