Research Fellow - Amnesties, Conflict and Peace
- QUEENS UNIVERSITY BELFAST
- Belfast, Northern Ireland
- £35,333 per annum
- 14 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 17 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science, Social Sciences, Law
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term, Permanent
- Full Time
The School of Law at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of Postdoctoral Research Fellow.
The post holder will be an active member of the research project working to update the qualitative Amnesties, Conflict and Peace Agreement database (www.peaceagreements.org/amnesties/), to translate that qualitative data into a new quantitative dataset, to conduct quantitative analysis relating to the use of amnesties during and after conflict, and to disseminate the research findings.
This work is being carried out at Queen’s University Belfast School of Law, part of the Peace and Conflict Resolution Evidence Platform (‘PeaceRep’) project led by the Edinburgh Law School of the University of Edinburgh https://peacerep.org/ and funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
The successful candidate must have, and your application should clearly demonstrate you have:
- A PhD or are about to obtain a PhD.
- At least 3 years’ relevant research experience to include knowledge of creating quantitative datasets and conducting quantitative data analysis.
- Demonstrable research ability as evidenced by, for example, publications, national / international conference papers, research awards, future scholarly output (working papers, research proposals, ability to outline a research project).
- Excellent skills in the use of Microsoft Excel or similar spreadsheet management tools, and experience of use and understanding of statistical tools such as SPSS, Stata, R, or Python.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria please click the Candidate Information link below.
This is a fixed term post available until 31/03/2024. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and International Staff Network) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
Informal enquiries may be directed to Claire Wright at Claire.Wright@qub.ac.uk.
About the School
Attractive Reward Package
Information for International Applicants