Senior Lecturer in Japanese Studies
- THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG
- Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong
- 14 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 03 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Work type: Full-time
Department: School of Modern Languages and Cultures (05100)
Categories: Teaching Staff
Applications are invited for appointment as Senior Lecturer in Japanese Studies in the School of Modern Languages and Cultures (Ref.: 519616), to commence on September 1, 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter, on a three-year fixed-term basis, with the possibility of renewal.
Applicants should possess the following:
- A Ph.D. degree in a Japanese Studies discipline and native or near-native fluency in both Japanese and English.
- Five years or more of full-time teaching experience at tertiary level; enthusiasm to teach Japanese Studies content courses at the undergraduate level.
- The candidate’s field of specialization is open and can be in any relevant Japanese Studies area (modern and/or premodern literature, history, popular culture, media, cultural studies, or anthropology), but preference will be given to applicants whose expertise complements the research and teaching of the current professoriate staff in the Department of Japanese Studies.
- Willingness to engage in, and evidence of, effective knowledge exchange and ability to liaise with academic or cultural institutions as well as businesses in Hong Kong to advance the visibility of the Department of Japanese Studies and promote the Japanese language and culture.
The appointee will be expected to teach Japanese Studies undergraduate courses in English in her/his area of expertise as well as core courses of the Department of Japanese Studies, including Introduction to Japanese Studies and the final-year capstone thesis course. The appointee will also be expected to actively engage in community outreach and advance knowledge exchange opportunities.
The University of Hong Kong is a leading global research university based in one of the world’s main financial centres. Based in the Faculty of Arts, the Department of Japanese Studies is part of the School of Modern Languages and Cultures - the academic home of the University of Hong Kong’s six interdisciplinary area studies (Africa, Americas, China, Europe, Japan, Korea), diverse language programmes and its global creative industries programme. Information about the School of Modern Languages and Cultures can be obtained at www.smlc.hku.hk. Enquiries about the post should be addressed to the Director of the Department of Japanese Studies, Dr. Daniel Poch at firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the Head of School, Dr. Roland Vogt at email@example.com.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, together with contract-end gratuity and University contribution to a retirement benefits scheme at 15% of basic salary. Other benefits include annual leave and professional leave, medical benefits, and free access to on-campus gyms and libraries. Housing benefits will be provided as applicable.
The University only accepts online applications for the above post. Applicants should apply online and upload an up-to-date C.V., a cover letter, and evidence of teaching ability (e.g., syllabi, student teaching evaluations). Two confidential references should be sent directly by the referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closes April 3, 2023.