Research Assistant, Machine Learning and NLP
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 14 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 13 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The Institute of Data Science at National University of Singapore (NUS) is looking for a Research Assistant to work on machine learning (ML) for natural language processing (NLP) research, with a particular focus on indigenous/vernacular languages. The project (see http://ids.nus.edu.sg/nlp.html) is an international collaboration between Singapore and New Zealand on data science, focusing on multi-lingual Q&A for revitalising and facilitating indigenous/vernacular languages in Southeast Asia and New Zealand through AI and data science.
The Research Assistant will be responsible for developing multi-lingual Q&A systems and databases for low-resource languages based on novel state-of-the-art research in ML and NLP. The research will also involve the creation of a platform to manage new research resources such as well-annotated NLP datasets, and implementations in real-world applications.
The appointment will be for one year. Selected candidates will be offered with attractive/competitive salaries and benefits.
- Develop and implement state-of-the-art ML methodologies and algorithms in NLP for multi-lingual Q&A in low-resourced languages;
- Design and implement data platform for collaborative NLP research on regional indigenous/vernacular languages;
- Contribute to research paper writing ;
- Participate in knowledge exchange and knowledge transfer activities with external partners and collaborators.
- An M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent, with specialization in machine learning and natural language processing;
- Familiarity with advanced AI platforms and state-of-the-art NLP and ML techniques;
- Proven ability to understand academic research papers and implement algorithms and systems based on research papers;
- Prior ML research experience and knowledge of SEA languages would be a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal communication and oral presentation skills in English;
- Experienced in working in a team, with people of diverse skillsets and cultural background.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.