Associate Director Research
- KHALIFA UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 14 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 11 Apr 2023
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The RIC-2D Associate Director-Research (ADR) is a secondary leadership position within RIC-2D and supports the Center’s Senior Director (SD) with strategic and operational duties. The ADR
- serves as a thought leader on leading edge science and technologies in graphene and 2D materials (G2DM)
- builds upon an established track record of providing research
- leadership, influencing research directions and delivering impactful research lead in the development of established and new research directions within RIC-2D and Khalifa University (KU)
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Act as the focal contact point of RIC-2D on all technical matters related to G2DM contributes to developing RIC-2D’s strategy to ensure RIC-2D achieves high international status
- Lead and support the discovery of new knowledge in G2DM field leading to competitive advantage for RIC-2D
- In coordination with RIC-2D’s Thrust Leads, identify highly impactful research opportunities within RIC-2D’s thrust areas and oversee the planning and execution of research activities in those areas.
- engage in the international research arena via formal or de-facto standards bodies, conference organizing committees, professional bodies, etc.
- Initiate, define and manage research projects or programs (both internal to KU and/or with collaborative partners) to ensure alignment and underpinning of RIC-2D’s strategic objectives.
- Provide line management, mentoring or guidance of researchers, technicians or students (as required).
- Build strong relationships with key people in the lines of business of RIC-2D’s partners and work with others as necessary inside KU to deliver value from research.
- Provide technical leadership by setting the strategy by which recognized specific problems or challenges will be overcome by establishing technical approaches to scientific and/or market analysis challenges.
- Provide consultancy and advice to RIC-2D's internal or external partners on new science and/or technologies to support their needs.
- Act as the trusted science and technology expert for RIC-2D and its partners.
- Contribute to KU’s world-class standing in research and innovation through scholarly publication, disclosure and support for the filing of intellectual property based on research results, and other appropriate communication, including internal reports or presentations and external presentations to partners and peers.
- Review technical proposals and provide in-depth assessment of their merit.
- Review and evaluate periodic progress reports of RIC-2D’s projects
- Advise RIC-2D’s Labs Manager on technical matters related to research labs operation (e.g., new equipment selection).
- Support the ADC in technology transfer and industry engagement activities by providing scientific and technical advice and analyses.
- Support media outreach activities to promote the center as a hub of research excellence in G2DM.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the designated team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommend for subordinates appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results.
- Carry out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices.
- Conduct periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follow-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
Qualifications & Experience
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or related field. Academic qualifications comparable to a Professor in academia
- Recognized as a global leader in the area of G2DM
- PhD + (12+) years’ experience in the area of G2DM and proven research record.
- Industrial and translational research experience is highly desirable
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (email@example.com).
Primary Location : KUK – Khalifa University
Job : Associate Director
Schedule : Regular
Shift : Standard
Job Type : Full-time