Associate Dean, Learning and Teaching
- Suzhou, China
- 14 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 15 Apr 2023
- Job Type
- Senior Management & Heads of Department, Deans
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Department: School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Academic Discipline: Applied Linguistics/Translation and Literary Studies/Media and Communication/China Studies/International Studies
Position Title: Associate Dean – Learning and Teaching
Location: Suzhou Campus
Salary: Internationally competitive
Position Open Date: 1st September 2023
Advertisement Closing Date: 15 April 2023
Job ID: 3204
Contract Type: Fixed-Term/Contract
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT School of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS)
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) is dedicated to developing and delivering the most attractive humanities and social science degree programmes for Chinese and international students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. We are committed to developing a centre of research excellence in humanities and social sciences that is recognised within China and internationally. The School also aims to develop outreach and partnerships with domestic and international universities.
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences researches and educates across different disciplines in humanities and social sciences. The School, supported by over 90 staff from more than 15 countries, consists of six academic departments:
- China Studies
- International Studies
- Media and Communication
- Applied Linguistics
- Translation and Interpreting
The School offers eight undergraduate degree programmes and six postgraduate degree programmes, including:
- BA China Studies
- BA International Relations
- BA Media and Communication
- BA English Studies
- BA English and Communication
- BA English and Finance
- BA English and International Business
- BA Translation and Interpreting
- MA Applied Linguistics (specialisation in multilingualism)
- MA China Studies
- MA International Business and Global Affairs
- MA International Relations
- MSc Media and Communication
- MA TESOL
The School offers opportunities for students who are interested in 2+2 programmes (with University of Liverpool), and study abroad programmes. In addition, the School hosts the Year in China programme of University of Liverpool. The School also runs Diploma in China Studies.
The school also offers PhD programmes in humanities and social sciences disciplines, including history, sociology, anthropology, politics and international relations, media and communication, linguistics, culture, and literature.
The School organises collaborative and collective research projects to explore interactions and dialogues between China and the rest of the world. The School also proactively engages with the wider academic, business and policy-making communities in the Yangtze River Delta region, as well as nationally in China and abroad.
More details about the School of HSS can be found here: https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/study/departments/school-of-humanities-and-social-sciences.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences is a key role in the management and development of degree programmes and the delivery of learning and teaching activities. The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean. The term of appointment is three years.
- The Associate Dean Learning and Teaching provides leadership and oversight to the development of degree programmes and the delivery of teaching in the School.
- The Associate Dean is a member of the School Senior Management Team, and supports the Dean in the leadership of the School.
- It is the responsibility of the Associate Dean for Learning and Teaching to ensure that teaching programmes maximise the market opportunities for the School; that the content of modules is kept up to date; and that new advances in teaching technology and academic discussions are accommodated.
- The Associate Dean has oversight of all teaching activities in the School.
- The Associate Dean has responsibility for putting measures in place to encourage the development of best teaching practices within the School.
- The Associate Dean may be asked to take on specific administrative tasks by the Dean. These include service on committees and working parties, as well as task related to learning and teaching.
- The Associate Dean manages and mentors all Programme Directors in the School.
- The Associate Dean plays a leading role in the School Learning and Teaching Committee.
- The Associate Dean may assist the Dean in the effective management of the Professional Development Review system at School-level.
- The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean of the School.
- The Associate Dean works closely with the Associate Vice President Education, to ensure the development of an appropriate learning and teaching environment.
- The Associate Dean works closely with all Heads of Department in the School to ensure programs and modules meet market demand, appropriate standards of delivery, and student expectations.
- The Associate Dean works closely with all Programme Directors in the School to ensure the effective presentation and delivery of programmes of learning and teaching.
- The Associate Dean works closely with the School Learning and Committee to ensure the highest standards of quality assurance in teaching planning and delivery are met.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Significant leadership and management accomplishments in Learning & Teaching
- Self-reliance and the ability to work autonomously
- The ability to develop and implement a strategic vision
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
We are looking for someone with the ambition, creativity and organizational skills to succeed in an exciting environment of continued growth and significant change. Applicants should:
- Be educated to PhD degree level in one of the academic disciplines of the School;
- Have at least five years of teaching experience at university level;
- Have significant recent experience of management in a higher education context; for example, experience of being a module leader, or programme director;
- Significant team leadership experience in an HE L&T context;
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of a principled approach to pedagogy.
- Experience of successful development and implementation of humanities and social sciences curricula, and/or teaching quality enhancement programmes;
- Experience of working within quality assurance frameworks that are institutional, national and international;
- Experience working in a transnational educational context with Chinese and/or UK partner institutions;
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Duty allowance
- Kids’ education allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Informal enquiries about the position and the School may be addressed to the Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Prof Beibei Tang Beibei.Tang@xjtlu.edu.cn.
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please contact HR at Wenyu.Pu@xjtlu.edu.cn.