Research Fellow, Bioinformatician - Cancer Science Institute
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 13 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 12 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Research Fellowships, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Full Time
A postdoctoral position is available immediately in A/Prof Polly Chen’s groups for a highly motivated PhD graduate with experience in Bioinformatics (computational genomics). The focus of A/P Polly Chen’s lab is on the transcriptome-wide identification of RNA changes (e.g., RNA editing, alterative splicing, altered protein-RNA interactions, etc) in tumors and functional investigation of these changes in cancer.
Duties And Responsibilities
Candidates should have strong background in bioinformatics, genomics/transcriptomics, computer science, statistics, or other related fields. Those who are interested in computational genomics and transcriptomics, particularly in analysis and integration of various genomics/transcriptomics data, are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will analyze and integrate in-house NGS datasets (bulk and single-cell RNA-seq, spatial transcriptomics, DNA-seq, eCLIP-seq, MeDIP-seq, etc) and also utilize publicly available genomic/transriptomics/clinical data sets to identify novel biological biomarkers/patterns and regulatory mechanisms.
Candidates are required to have a strong quantitative and statistics background, as well as strong programming skills (e.g. Python, Perl, C, C++, Java, R, or other related programming knowledge), and excellent skills in handling genomic, transcriptomic and proteomic databases. Experience in analyzing RNA editing, alternative splicing, RNA binding sites using the bulk and single-cell RNA-seq, eCLIP-seq, spatial transcriptomic data is a plus.
- A PhD graduate with relevant experience in areas of computational biology/bioinformatics
- Extensive knowledge and experience in working with a variety of NGS datasets, pipeline development and algorithm development
- Strong publication track record, indicated by first author publications in high quality journals
- Strong analytical skills and programming skills
- Ability to write/contribute to research articles, grants and keep meticulous notes/proper scientific documentation
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- A strong team focus and ability to work independently
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.