Teaching Assistant, Department of Biochemistry
- NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- 13 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 12 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Life sciences, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemistry
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
The National University of Singapore invites applications for Teaching Assistant in the Department of Biochemistry, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. The Department undertakes excellence in education and scholarship by focusing efforts in clinical education, lifelong education and innovation in education. Our scientific strengths and leadership is evidenced by Biochemistry achieving stellar research scholarship in cancer, cardiovascular disease, digital medicine, healthy longevity, human potential, infectious disease, immunology, precision medicine and synthetic biology. More information on the Department is available at http://medicine.nus.edu.sg/bch/message-from-hod-biochemistry/. Appointment will be made on a 1-year contract basis in the first instance, with the possibility of extension on a yearly basis.
Purpose of the Post
The Teaching Assistant (TA) will report to the Deputy HoD. He/She will, work closely with the Module Coordinators and other team members involved in the modules to ensure the successful execution of practical classes. The TA’s principal role is teaching undergraduate students in practicals and tutorials, grade students’ reports, improve practicals and establishing new practicals. The TA is expected to help with the preparation of samples, reagents and buffers, and conducting of experiment trials to ensure the smooth running of practical classes. He/She will also support education-related activities in the Department.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The teaching assistant will liaise with various Team Leads in the teaching laboratory to support the preparation of practical classes before the start of each semester. During semester time, he/she will guide students in report-writing and will be accountable to his/her assigned Module Co-ordinators (MCs).
The teaching assistant will:
- Teach students in practicals and tutorials;
- Grade students’ reports as part of assessment tasks; Improve practicals (eg troubleshooting problems, creating learning objects) and/or assist in designing and establishing new practicals;
- Assist in sample, reagent and buffer preparation, conduct experimental trials
- Ensure equipment in Teaching Lab are in optimum operating conditions.
- Assist in assessment-related tasks such as invigilation, questions and marks checking;
- Participate in safety management of the Teaching lab and Support department in education-related activities
The applicant should:
- Have a Good Honours degree with good knowledge, skills and expertise in Life Sciences or Biomedical Sciences from a reputable institute, preferably with training and strong interest in molecular biology and biochemistry or related disciplines;
- Be able to work independently and in a team, have an investigative nature, attention to details; and
- Have knowledge of computer applications, e.g. MS office, PowerPoint.
Remuneration will commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made to Dr Long Yun Chau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Formal application: Please submit your application, indicating current/expected salary, supported by a detailed CV (including personal particulars, academic and employment history, complete list of publications/oral presentations and full contacts of three (3) referees to this job portal.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.