Instructor (First Year Academic Advising)
- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 13 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 12 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Education
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The First Year Advising team, a support unit within the Student Success Unit (SSU) of UAEU, is looking for an enthusiastic and experienced academic advising specialist to join the team on a full-time basis. Within the team, each advisor is assigned to support a set number of advisees each semester, while also contributing to general advising duties for the university community at large and fulfilling teaching duties on a reduced load.
- Providing one-to-one and group academic advising to students to ensure ongoing successful progress towards a timely completion of their degree programs;
- Providing guidance to students on full graduation planning;
- Monitoring student academic progress through a variety of reporting tools;
- Working closely and collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff to ensure academic success of assigned advisees;
- Acting as college/department liaison to current and prospective students, faculty, staff, and external stakeholders on issues related to academic advising;
- Acting as primary liaison to connect students with academic and personal support services, such as tutoring, learning center support units, counseling and career services;
- Responding to student questions and concerns in a timely manner;
- Working with students to resolve all issues to ensure satisfaction with advising support;
- Providing follow-up to ensure effectiveness of and satisfaction with advising services;
- Working collaboratively and collegially with academic units and services throughout the university to facilitate comprehensive student support;
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date student files and records; Fulfilling teaching duties on a reduced load.
Master’s degree in a curriculum area offered by the university, with at least three years’ experience in both student support and teaching roles in tertiary education.
Master’s degree in a curriculum area offered by the university, with additional relevant qualifications in educational advising, student counseling or a related field.
- A committed approach to student development and success (Essential);
- Experience of teaching and working in a student support role in tertiary education (Essential);
- Experience of presenting and delivering workshops to a variety of groups within a university community (Essential);
- A flexible team player with the ability to communicate with students and colleagues from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds (Essential);
- Task-oriented and able to complete tasks to stated deadlines (Essential);
- Experienced in both face-to-face and online advising interactions (Essential);
- Confident user of LMS (e.g. Blackboard), MS Office and online meeting applications (Essential);
- Experience of using the Ellucian suite of student advising solutions (Degree Works and CRM Advise) (Desirable);
- Knowledge of the Arabic language and culture of Arabic speaking countries (Desirable).
The successful candidate will be expected to join UAEU in August 2023 Apply with CV and cover letter at: https://jobs.uaeu.ac.
The UAE requires instructors to receive MoE equivalency for their degrees.
Division University College
Department Student Success Unit - UC
Job Close Date open until filled
Job Category Academic - Faculty