PhD candidate (f/m/d) in the field of Social and Cultural Anthropology - A41/23
- UNIVERSITY OF BREMEN
- Bremen, Germany
- 11 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 20 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences
- Job Type
- Research Related, Research Support
- Contract Type
- Full Time
At the University of Bremen the Department of Anthropology and Cultural Research (faculty 9 Cultural Studies) in the field of Social and Cultural Anthropology (Focus: Transcultural Processes) Prof. Dr. Tyler Zoanni invites applications under the condition of job release to fill the following one scientific position at the next possible date:
PhD candidate (f/m/d)
Salary Level 13 TV-L (50 %),
Start Date: October 2023 or earlier
Reference Number: A41/23
for a period of three years with the aim of obtaining a doctorate within this timeframe.
The employment is fixed-term and governed by the Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contract, 2 (1) (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz WissZeitVG). Therefore, candidates may only be considered for appointment if their prior studies confirm to the timelines laid out in 2 (1) WissZeitVG.
The PhD candidate (f/m/d) will be employed as doctoral researcher (50%) with the focus on the anthropology of geopolitics, broadly understood. Possible topics could include regional competition or conflict, security, economic transformation, environmental change, natural resource extraction, and more. Relevant prior area experience and language skills are necessary. Geographic area is open, but a concern with border zones, regions, or transnational processes is desirable. Decolonial, feminist, and allied critical perspectives likewise desired.
The position involves the following duties:
- conducting a doctoral project in the subject area of the anthropology of geopolitics
- co-organizing events within the scope of the professorship Social and Cultural Anthropology (Focus: Transcultural Processes)
- support with third-party funding applications
- teaching (2 semester hours per week) BA Cultural Studies and MATS (MA Transcultural Studies)
- teaching duties according to LVNV
- participation in limited academic administration
- academic university degree (usually a 2-year Master s degree) in social and cultural anthropology or a closely related subject area
- prior technical knowledge, including data management, web design, photographic, video, or other medial production
- Knowledge of English (CEF level C1)
- high level of commitment and initiative, reliable work ethic, ability to work in a team, good communication skills
The university is family-friendly, diverse and sees itself as an international university. We therefore welcome all applicants regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/belief, disability, age, sexual orientation and identity.
The University is committed to a policy of gender equality for employment opportunities. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply for the offered positions.
Disabled applicants will be given priority if their professional and personal qualifications are essentially the same.
If you are interested, please submit the following documents:
- a two-page brief description of your PhD project
- a one- to two-page letter of motivation explaining how your profile fits into the research focus of the proposed project
- documents, including curriculum vitae, copies of your academic credentials, certificates, and transcripts
- a writing sample (including publication(s))
- the names of two academic reviewers/recommenders
Please send your application, quoting the reference number A41/23 by April 20th, 2023 to
Universit t Bremen
Institut f r Ethnologie und Kulturwissenschaft (IfEK)
Frau Marion Stubbemann
Enrique-Schmidt-Stra e 7
or in electronic form (as PDF document) to email@example.com.
Inquiries should be sent electronically to Prof. Dr. Tyler Zoanni: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for PhD candidate (f/m/d) in the field of Social and Cultural Anthropology - A41/23
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly