Academic Support Advisor
- LA TROBE UNIVERSITY
- Bundoora/Shepparton/Mildura/Bendigo/Albury-Wodonga, Australia
- $83,518 - $104,507 FTE per annum inclusive of 17% superannuation
- 09 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 26 Mar 2023
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Part Time
- Part Time 0.6 (equivalent of 3 days per week), Fixed Term Appointment until 30/04/2024 with possibility for extension
- Position can be based at any of La Trobe University’s Campuses Bundoora, Shepparton, Mildura, Bendigo or Albury-Wodonga
- Salary Band $83,518 - $104,507 FTE per annum inclusive of 17% superannuation
About the position
An Academic Support Advisor associated with the Nexus pathway into teaching is expected to contribute to a small project team, participate in the delivery of intensive, support students in and outside of schools, and develop and implement online teaching and social networking associated with the program. This role also involves recruitment of the subsequent cohorts of Nexus students.
Nexus is delivered by La Trobe University as part of the High Achieving Teachers Program funded by the Australian Government Department of Education and supported by the Victorian Department of Education. Nexus students enrol in either the 18 month or two-year Master of Teaching (Secondary) with the pathway specifically targeted at recruiting, preparing and supporting secondary teachers for often hard-to-staff regional, rural and urban low SES secondary schools. In a first-of-its-kind employment-based pathway into secondary teaching, Nexus prepares, mentors and graduates selected teaching candidates for economically, culturally diverse and hard-to-staff schools in Melbourne, regional and rural Victoria. Nexus is unique in its commitment to preparing teachers who are culturally diverse, committed to social justice principles and who come from regional backgrounds themselves, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates.
The position holder will work with the Nexus team based on other La Trobe campuses primarily to support Nexus (Master of Teaching) students and liaise with local secondary schools. The successful candidate will work to recruit pre-service teachers from the local region and support Nexus students while they work and study in low SES schools. In addition, this role includes supporting online and flexible learning and creating a community of practice for Nexus students and school-based teacher-mentors.
The position holder may be required to undertake travel to other La Trobe University campuses than their primary campus from time to time.
Skills & Experience
- Develop recruitment strategies for Nexus students and low SES, regional Nexus schools.
- Provide academic coaching to Nexus Master of Teaching (Secondary) students.
- Work closely with the secondary schools involved in the Nexus Program to support them to provide the best learning experiences for the Nexus students.
- Work closely with the local campus to ensure Nexus students avail themselves of the academic, study skills and library support available to students on the campus.
- Engage with local community organisations
- Be a qualified teacher with teaching experience in Secondary Schools
- Strong existing relationships with State Secondary schools in the catchment area for the relevant campus
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively, collaboratively and productively with students from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Hold Current VIT registration
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
Welcome to Bundoora campus – Please click on the video link below:
Welcome Video - Victorian Regional campuses – Please click on the video link below:
- 17% employer contributed superannuation
- On site child care facilities
- Flexible work arrangements
- Discounts for staff and their family members to study a range of La Trobe courses
How to apply
Closing date: Sunday 26th March at 11:55 pm
Position Enquiries: Bernadette Walker-Gibbs, Associate Dean, Learning and Teaching, Email: B.Walker-Gibbs@latrobe.edu.au, Phone: 03 9479 5377
Recruitment Enquiries: Vicki Stavrou, Senior Talent Acquisition Business Partner, Email: email@example.com, Phone: 03 9479 5191
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up-to-date resume; and
- A separate document addressing the Key Selection Criteria which is located in the position description.
Why La Trobe:
- Develop your career at an innovative, global university where you’ll collaborate with community and industry to create impact.
- Enjoy working on our inspiring and stunning campuses – the perfect hub for industry, students and academics
- Help transform the lives of students, partners and communities now and in future
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.