Lecturer in Computer Networks and Internet of Things
- VIETNAMESE-GERMAN UNIVERSITY
- 10 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 09 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Contract Type
- Full Time
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is seeking a highly qualified full-time lecturer in Computer Networks and Internet of Things. Candidates must hold a PhD in Computer Science and have a strong background in research. Relevant international experience is of advantage. The successful candidate will become part of an international network of universities and research institutes.
In the role of a lecturer, the successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in the program Computer Science. The expected workload for the in-class lecture conduction is 08 academic hours per week, totaling 240 academic hours per year (1 academic hour equals to 45 minutes).
Teaching should reflect current research methods and results, and comprises lectures on the following modules:
- Computer Networks
- Internet of Things and Smart Devices
- Computer Architectures
- Current Topics for Computer Science
- Real-time Systems
- Programming Languages (C/C++, Java, Python, …)
The named courses are subject to change upon realistic needs of the programs and joint agreement between the lecturer, relevant Academic Coordinators, and Dean/Vice Dean in charge of teaching. Courses require conducting relevant laboratory activities and/or advising student projects.
The holder of this job is also responsible for supervising bachelor's and master's theses and mentoring PhD students.
As a faculty member of a research-oriented university, the successful candidate is expected to significantly contribute to the scientific profile of VGU through innovation. This includes and is not limited to comprehensive activities in basic research as well as applied research in the fields of Internet of Things, Computer Networks, Smart Devices, and Cyber Security (as an advantage). The ability to apply and generate externally funded research projects is highly desirable.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the development of the Computer Science by participating in administrative, marketing and other public activities of the program in consultation with the Academic Coordinator of the study program and the German partner university, namely Frankfurt Applied Science University. She or He is also expected to contribute actively to the academic self-administration of the Faculty of Engineering and university by being willing to stand for election to the Faculty Council, Academic Senate and/or other bodies.
Candidates must hold a PhD in Computer Science or a closely related field, preferably from a well-known international university. A current title of Professor will be a plus, as experience and understanding of the German higher education system and methodology. Other requirements include:
- An outstanding academic record with a focus on Internet of Things and Computer Networks, and Cyber Security is of advantage.
- Experience of public speaking and good teamwork but ability to work on own initiative and to deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong track record of successful research activities and publications in international and peer-reviewed journals in the related area.
- Proven teaching experience with strong self-motivation combined with a passion for teaching and research
- Experience in industry is of advantage
- Proven excellent English proficiency:
Candidates who are from non-native English-speaking countries should include one of the following valid English proficiency certificates; IELTS 6.5, TOEFL 548(PBT), TOEFL 84 (iBT), TOEFL 212 (CBT), CEFR level B2 or Aptis level C1 at the time of application submission. Alternatively, candidates who do not hold a valid English proficiency certificate at the submission time need to be internally assessed at VGU to meet the criterion stated above.
The successful candidate will become part of a professional and interdisciplinary group of faculty and have access to state-of-the-art laboratories. VGU supports its lecturers with attractive start-up endowments for quality research projects. VGU also supports participation in national and international conferences and the publishing of research papers.
VGU lecturers enjoy a rich cultural experience and a dynamic teaching environment through interactions with inquisitive and quality students.
Further information, e.g. regarding the appointment procedure, the competitive salary and research activities can be downloaded here.
To apply please send your application (with the following documents in one PDF max. size: 5 MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "[Computer Networks and Internet of Things]_[Your Name]"
Your application should include:
- Form for basic information (Please download, complete this form electronically and submit it together with your application)
- A cover letter stating your interest in joining VGU
- Curriculum Vitae (including list of publications)
- Scans of university degrees, university transcripts and other relevant certificates
- Scans of language certificates (if applicable)
- References illustrating your professional and academic career, including contact details of references (if available, highly appreciated)
- Evaluation results for teaching (if available)
All applications will be reviewed and evaluated by VGU's international Application Review Team.
For further information, please contact:
- Program Academic Director at email@example.com
- Program Academic Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is a Vietnamese state university. Founded in 2008, VGU is a joint venture based on a close cooperation between the Federal Republic of Germany and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, with the goal of becoming the leading research university in Vietnam and the region.
VGU´s strategy is to customize excellent German study programs in the fields of engineering, informatics and economics to meet the needs of Vietnamese higher education. Being a joint effort of Vietnamese and German institutions, VGU follows the successful German model and standards concerning the academic and administrative structures.
Native English speakers (e.g. from the United States, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, South Africa, Australia, Canada or New Zealand) do not have to submit an English proficiency certificate if the interviewers are satisfied with the interviewees English level at the time of interview.