Lecturer in Data Science
- EDINBURGH NAPIER UNIVERSITY
- Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh (GB)
- £42,155 - £51,805 per annum
- 09 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 04 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Computer Science
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Job reference: 0000020027
Date posted: 08/03/2023
Application closing date: 04/04/2023
Salary: Excellent benefit package including 46 days annual leave, generous employer contribution of 23%, agreed pay increases each year and much more
Package: £42,155 - £51,805 per annum (Grade 6)
Contractual hours: 35
Basis: Full Time
Edinburgh Napier University is the ‘#1 Modern University in Scotland’. An innovative, learner centric university with a modern and fresh outlook, Edinburgh Napier is ambitious, inclusive in its ethos and applied in its approach.
At Edinburgh Napier University, we believe in nurturing talent and creating knowledge that shapes communities all around the world. Our innovative research provides solutions to society's challenges, our graduates leave ready for the workplace, and we have wide-ranging links with employers and business.
Based in the lively and exciting Merchiston area at the heart of Edinburgh, Scotland’s inspiring capital, the School of Computing, Engineering & the Built Environment have over 200 academics, 3,100 campus-based students. We deliver programmes with professional accreditations from the British Computer Society, Institution of Engineering and Technology, The Chartered Institute of Building and other accreditation bodies. We have excellent computing, engineering, and construction lab facilities.
The school is embarking on a major development in the area of Industry 4.0, bringing together computer science, engineering, mathematics, and construction technology. The School has one of the UK's largest computer science departments and it houses leading UK research centres in transport policy and sustainable construction.
The latest UK national research assessment, REF 2021, places our Computer Science research in the top-30 in the whole UK and 3rd best in Scotland (both in power ranking). In terms of research impact 100% of our work achieved the highest rating (4*), a performance achieved only by six other universities in the whole UK. According to the REF 2021 Edinburgh Napier University is the top ranking Scottish modern university for both research power and research impact.
The University’s improved research power rating will now see our research funding increase as we take significant strides to grow our reputation as a research-focused institution as well as a teaching one. We are confident that we are well on our way to establishing ourselves as one of the UK’s world-leading universities in research.
Further information about Edinburgh Napier University can be found here.
This is a great opportunity for an academic or researcher with expertise in Data Science or related fields where you can add to the work of the experienced team exploring Data Science, Data Engineering, Data Visualisation Databases, Statistical Modelling and Simulation, Nature Inspired Intelligent Systems, Internet of Things, Cloud Computing, Smart Systems, Software Engineering and Applied AI.
Areas of desirable expertise include but are not limited to: data science and machine learning theoretical foundations, data visualisation, statistical data analysis and data models, data mining methods, applied data science in biomedicine, financial analysis or engineering, data engineering.
With 30%-time allocation for research, this role will allow you to explore novel and emerging areas of data science, deliver excellent quality research papers and secure substantial external research funding.
As a lecturer, you will be a member of our Computer Science subject group with:
- A research allowance of at least 30% of your time to build your research – which can be increased further through external funding.
- Support for travel to conferences and to establish collaborations.
- Extensive training and development opportunities through our Human Resources (HR) and Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Support for grant applications and post-award running of grants from professional services colleagues in the schools and the Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Opportunities to lead and join PhD student supervisory teams.
- Opportunities to contribute to the leadership of the research group.
Our ideal candidate must demonstrate enthusiasm for working in a cross-disciplinary manner in fundamental and/or applied research, for developing links with industry and in the development of teaching to enhance the employability of our graduates. A focus for all our academic staff is to maximise networks, build relationships with industry and other external organisations to deliver excellent research publications, strong research income, and knowledge transfer through Knowledge Transfer Partnerships with industrial partners. You will be expected to develop and deliver face to face, blended, and online teaching for both on-campus and off-campus delivery within the UK and overseas.
If you do not have membership of the Higher Education Academy's professional membership scheme, you will be expected to study towards a PGCert in Teaching and Learning supported by the Department of Learning and Teaching Enhancement (DLTE), or to gain membership through another route.
Who we are looking for
- A doctoral level qualification in the relevant discipline.
- Excellent track record of research publications appropriate for the career stage.
- Evidence of a professional academic and research profile alongside a commitment to sustained continuous professional/academic development.
- Sufficient breadth and depth of experience in one or more of the areas mentioned above to develop high quality teaching/learning and research programmes.
- Relevant teaching experience appropriate for the career stage.
- Commitment to face to face, blended, and online teaching for both on-campus and off-campus delivery in UK and overseas
- Demonstrate a level of achievement appropriate to the post being applied for, including international/ national standing, external income generation, and engagement in academic service (e.g., membership of committees, being a module leader).
If you would like to know, more about this exciting opportunity please click here to view the role profile.
Benefits we offer
Salary: £42,155 - £51,805 per annum (Grade 6)
In return, we offer a great working environment where we support ambition, recognise achievement, and offer an attractive benefits package.
- a minimum of 46 days annual leave (includes 10 fixed bank holidays)
- a generous pension scheme with an employer contribution of 23%
- nationally agreed pay increases each year
- flexible working
- professional learning and development opportunities
Further information regarding our excellent benefits can be viewed here.
We also offer support for travel to conferences, purchasing equipment and developing your network. We offer a range of development opportunities including our Research and Innovation Office who support grant funding applications. Lastly, you will be mentored by a Professor and we aim to have you quickly join a PhD student supervisory team.
Are you a new academic with less than 2 years’ experience?
The University is passionate about supporting the development of our academic community, so if you are someone who is new to academia or have less than 2 years’ experience you may be eligible to join our 2-year Early Career Academic Development Programme (ECA Development Programme).
Our ECA Development Programme has been created to support all new lecturers build the knowledge and experience to advance their career as an academic, through a structured development plan which will be in place when you join the University. You can find full details of the programme here.
Informal enquiries about the role can be made to Professor Ashkan Sami (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications for the role must be submitted via the Edinburgh Napier University job applications web site – emailed applications will not be accepted.
Application closing date: Tuesday 4 April at 11.59pm
Interview date: Monday 17 April 2023
Edinburgh Napier is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels proud, confident, challenged and supported and are holders of Disability Confident, Carer Positive and Stonewall Diversity Champion status. Please see here for more information.