Research Fellow / Senior Research Fellow, Preclinical Intensive Care Research Unit
- UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Perth, Australia
- Level B $ 105,043 - $124,301 p.a. or Level C $128,152 - $147,413 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
- 09 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 06 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health, Medicine & Dentistry, Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Preclinical Intensive Care Research Unit (PICRU)
- Join the state-of-the-art preclinical translational unit dedicated to improving outcomes of newborns infants
- Level B or Level C, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 3 years
- Base salary range: Level B $ 105,043 - $124,301 p.a. or Level C $128,152 - $147,413 p.a. plus 17% superannuation depending on skills and experience
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The PICRU is a state-of-the-art preclinical translational unit located in the Large Animal Facility at UWA, currently led by Professor Jane Pillow. Studies in the PICRU focus on innovative preclinical translational research that will improve outcomes of newborns infants. In addition to the PICRU, the Large Animal Facility includes access to dedicated surgical facilities for recovery surgery. The School of Human Sciences is home to the Cell and Molecular Life Facility for access to molecular, histological and imaging capability. You will also be able to access the UWA Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (CMCA).
About the opportunity
You will have the opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary team of physiologists, biomedical scientists, clinicians, engineers and industry partners working on innovative studies to advance the care of newborn infants. You will work to develop methods, interpret results and write manuscripts, and successfully obtain funding to support your future innovative research program. There is also opportunity for the successful appointee to be actively mentored and supported by Professor Pillow and research development teams to support your growth as a successful and internationally renowned researcher.
You will be a current early-mid career fetal / neonatal physiologist with established expertise in respiratory physiology/biology, circadian biology and/or developmental neurology / neuroscience and a demonstrated record of success in nationally and internationally competitive grant applications.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD or equivalent in fetal neonatal physiology, respiratory physiology, circadian biology, or neurosciences, with laboratory expertise in molecular biology, immunohistochemistry and cell-biology
- Highly developed experience in independently performing large animal surgery including recovery surgery, caesarean section and complex fetal instrumentation for physiological recording
- Capacity and experience in obtaining nationally and/or internationally competitive research funding to support your research program and to direct and manage associated grants and projects
- Experience in forming hypotheses, testing them using appropriate advance statistical and modelling tools and a track record of leading publications of research findings in leading international journals
- Ability to work independently, show initiative, and to develop innovative projects and solutions, and to work productively and highly collaboratively as an exemplary member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and maintenance of highly accurate and comprehensive records including data management
- Highly developed and recognised capacity to provide exemplary supervision and teaching for research assistants and research students
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Research Fellow or Senior Research Fellow 513678.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Thursday, 6 April 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Professor Jane Pillow on at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.