Faculty Technician in Biosciences
6 days left
- NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- £21,389 - £23,407
- 08 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Life sciences, Biological Sciences
- Contract Type
- Full Time
In this role you will be expected to assist in delivering high quality technical services for teaching and research in the Biosciences laboratories. You will be responsible for supporting the setup of practical sessions for undergraduate teaching programs as well as supporting research within the faculty. In addition, the post holder will be responsible for maintaining specialist laboratory spaces and equipment. The role requires a skilled individual who is self-motivated, highly organised and works well as part of a team.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the provision of a professional support service by ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction and by responding positively to feedback.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of health and safety procedures and issues relating to their work environment and implement health and safety procedures within the Faculty’s specialist facilities.
- Work closely with the Senior Technician in responding to and resolving technical support issues and requests in an efficient and effective manner.
- Provide technical support, to students and staff, to include but not limited to preparation of materials and equipment for teaching, enterprise and research,
- assistance and support for practical sessions preparation, booking and return of materials and equipment for teaching sessions, stock/materials control, specification and requisitioning care, routine maintenance and PAT Testing of appropriate tools and equipment.
- Advise staff and students on the appropriate procedures for the operation, monitoring, maintenance and security of equipment and facilities. Instruct staff or groups of students on the use of specialist facilities and equipment
- Undertake excellent administrative work to facilitate responsive and recordable action to support the technical requirements of the Faculty.
- Assist in planning specialist facility and costing of apparatus & resourcing for new and existing facilities.
- Assist in the provision of specialist equipment in Faculty facilities, confirming it is available and operating effectively.
- Any other duties or responsibilities as may reasonably be required by the Faculty Management Team.
There may be a requirement to work off site and/or at evenings and weekends.
To be successful in the role you will have:
Further information is available in the person specification.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Experience working in specialist Laboratory, workshop or studio facilities
- Experience of working with relevant skills and techniques processes, and procedures.
- Experience of receiving and responding to, enquiries from/to customers.
- Providing support in a technical context
- Practical experience of undertaking or contributing to health and safety activities such as risk assessment and/or COSHH