Academic Coach for Critical Thinking and Writing Course, NYUAD Summer Academy
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 08 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 03 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics, Social Sciences, Education
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Part Time
The NYUAD Summer Academy is a cross-cultural program designed to enhance the academic profile of highly motivated Emirati high school students about to start their 11th year. The program features intensive instruction in Critical Thinking and Writing, Mathematical Reasoning, College Readiness and Success, Standardized Test Preparation, and Leadership Development and Public Speaking over the course of two summers and an intervening academic year.
Following a competitive admissions process, up to 54 program participants are selected as recipients of the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholarships for Outstanding High School Students, which enables them to attend the Summer Academy.
In this mixed-gender program, students are exposed to a rich cultural and rigorous academic program which enhances their ability to gain admission to and perform well at top-tier English-language universities. The program begins during the summer following the 10th year of high school and continues for the following 18 months, with two intensive summer courses of study in Abu Dhabi at the NYUAD Campus. In addition, students participate in online study and academic refresher weekends during the following academic year.
- University Preparation - Instill in students the intellectual resources and skills necessary for success at top-tier English-language universities through the 18-month curriculum.
- Liberal Arts Education - Introduce students to the study of the humanities and to the value of a liberal arts education.
- Cultural Awareness - Develop students' understanding of the cultural norms of Western universities.
- Test Preparation - Prepare students to excel on the standardized tests necessary for university entry.
- Leadership Skills - Spur personal growth, maturity, cultivate leadership potential.
The Academic Coach, working in support of the Instructor, will oversee duties for tutoring students in Critical Thinking and Writing, for one to two sections of Summer Academy students – students in their first summer of the program and students in their second summer of the program (Summer I and Summer II). Each course will comprise of approximately 20 classes, with class hours determined by early Spring 2023.
The Academic Coach will also support programmatic activities on Summer Academy weekends as necessary and participate in selection activities and graduation events, as needed
Length of Appointment:
Four to five weeks from approximately July 10 through August 12, 2023 with attendance at approximately two meetings prior to the program’s start for orientation activities. Dates of the appointment are subject to change.
About NYU Abu Dhabi
Established in partnership between New York University (NYU) and the emirate of Abu Dhabi, NYU Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) has assembled over the past decade a remarkable community of scholars, students, researchers, artists, inventors, and others who have contributed to the growth of the UAE’s capital as a global hub of knowledge and culture, while establishing a new model of higher education for today’s complex world.
NYUAD is animated by inspiring, diverse faculty, students, and staff working together in an exciting and dynamic city. As an international center of excellence in teaching and research, our goal is to attract outstanding faculty who are leaders in their fields, encouraging them to create programs that draw outstanding students and providing an intellectually rich environment.
Students are drawn from among the world’s best. They are bright, intellectually passionate, and committed to building a campus environment anchored in mutual respect, understanding, and care. The NYUAD undergraduate student body has garnered an impressive record of scholarships, graduate-school appointments, and many other global honors. Graduate education is an area of growth for the university and the current graduate student population of over 100 students is expected to expand in the next decade.
NYUAD is committed to building and strengthening a university-wide culture of inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity (IDBE). For more information on NYUAD’s commitment to IDBE and how these values create fundamental to our mission please visit https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/inclusion-diversity-belonging-and-equity.html.
Working for NYUAD
A world-class institution deserves world-class benefits. At NYUAD, we recognize that Abu Dhabi is more than where you work, it’s your home. In order for faculty to thrive, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to our top talent. This starts with a generous relocation allowance to ensure a smooth transition to Abu Dhabi, followed by a competitive salary, housing on campus if required; access to health and wellness services, plus more. NYUAD is committed to faculty success throughout the academic career trajectory, providing support for ambitious and world-class research projects and innovative, interactive teaching approaches. Support for dual-career families is a priority.
Click here for more information on benefits for you and your dependents.
- Meet individually and in small groups with students during study hall, meals, breaks, and in the evenings to assist with reading and homework assignments.
- Advise students on the development of individualized college application plans, in conjunction with Summer Academy and NYUAD admissions staff
- Assist instructors in class with group work and with judging presentations, as necessary
- Report any instances of student misconduct, academic performance concerns, and health issues to Summer Academy staff management
- Contribute to the overall collegial atmosphere of the Summer Academy
- Participate in faculty meetings by providing detailed feedback on student progress
- Be available to individual students and groups in need of assistance, as well as to other instructors undertaking cross-curricular or collaborative projects
- Attend and provide assistance as needed with co-curricular events and activities throughout the Program, which will entail leading small groups of students on excursions and trips, or supporting the operations of the program, if necessary
- Provide students with ongoing and regular feedback (oral and written) during the course
Required Education, Certifications, Licensing or Training
- Bachelor’s degree in English or equivalent in related subject area
- Ability to be available to teach in Abu Dhabi
- Demonstrated ability to provide online instruction during the dates listed above, as necessary
Preferred Education, Certifications, Licensing or Training
- Advanced degree English or equivalent in related subject area (Masters or PhD)
- Experience in student affairs
- Experience supervising high school students in a co-curricular setting (i.e. high school or after school program)
Required Work and Related Experience
- Demonstrated interest in cross-cultural education and enthusiasm for teaching
- Availability to assist with the administration of the program prior to the start of classes in Abu Dhabi
- Demonstrated experience in tutoring English or other related subjects.
Preferred Work and Related Experience
Work or internship experience teaching English, to non-native speakers
Applicants must submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae in PDF format.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com..
For more information about the program, please visit: www.nyuad.nyu.edu/summer.academy.
NYUAD is committed to equality and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our University.
If this sounds like you, apply now.
Join NYU Abu Dhabi, an exceptional place for exceptional people.
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.