Instructor, IELTS/TOEFL Preparation, NYUAD Summer Academy
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 08 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 07 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Arts & Humanities, Languages, Literature & Linguistics
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Other Academic
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Part Time
The NYUAD Summer Academy is a cross-cultural program designed to enhance the academic profile of highly motivated Emirati high school students about to start their 11th year. The program features intensive instruction in Critical Thinking and Writing, Mathematical Reasoning, College Readiness and Success, Standardized Test Preparation, and Leadership Development and Public Speaking over the course of two summers and an intervening academic year.
Following a competitive admissions process, up to 54 program participants are selected as recipients of the Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Scholarships for Outstanding High School Students, which enables them to attend the Summer Academy.
In this mixed-gender program, students are exposed to a rich cultural and rigorous academic program which enhances their ability to gain admission to and perform well at top-tier English-language universities. The program begins during the summer following the 10th year of high school and continues for the following 18 months, with two intensive summer courses of study in Abu Dhabi at the NYUAD Campus. In addition, students participate in online study and academic refresher weekends during the academic year.
- University Preparation - Instill in students the intellectual resources and skills necessary for success at top-tier, English-language universities through the 18-month curriculum.
- Liberal Arts Education - Introduce students to the study of the humanities and to the value of a liberal arts education.
- Cultural Awareness - Develop students' understanding of the cultural norms of Western universities.
- Test Preparation - Prepare students to excel on the standardized tests necessary for university entry.
- Leadership Skills - Spur personal growth, maturity, cultivate leadership potential.
The Instructor will oversee all academic duties for teaching IELTS Test Preparation, including instruction, grading, lesson planning, and office hours, for up to three sections of Summer Academy students in their first summer of the program (Summer 1). Each section of the course will comprise of approximately 12 hours of instructional time plus online blended learning course work with approximately 18 students in each section. The Instructor will also support programmatic activities on weekends as necessary and participate in selection activities and graduation events, as needed.
- Develop an IELTS preparation course curriculum focused on the development of reading, writing, listening and speaking skills that form the foundation of English Language Proficiency skills required for admission to top-tier English-language universities. Units of study may include establishing and reinforcing core academic concepts and skills necessary for success on the IELTS examinations, including diagnostic and practice examinations. Students will be introduced to strategies and techniques to help them master the reading, listening, writing and speaking components of the examinations
- Teach the IELTS curriculum to the Summer Academy Class of 2024 in Abu Dhabi
- Work in collaboration with the College Readiness and Success instructors to develop a curriculum that meets both the IELTS preparation and college readiness and success learning outcomes
- Attend any pre-program meetings and/or training sessions
- Participate in faculty meetings by providing detailed feedback on student progress
- Work closely with the Summer Academy team to ensure that both sections receive the same material delivered with a similar high-quality approach
- Be available to small student groups in need of assistance, as well as to other instructors undertaking cross-curricular or collaborative projects
- Attend and provide assistance as needed with co-curricular events and activities throughout the Program, which will entail leading small groups of students on excursions and trips, or supporting the operations of the program if necessary
- Provide students with ongoing and regular feedback (oral and written) during the course of the class
- Following the summer session, submit extensive and detailed written feedback within 30 days of course completion on each student, to be used in crafting letters of recommendation for their college applications
About NYU Abu Dhabi
Established in partnership between New York University (NYU) and the emirate of Abu Dhabi, NYU Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) has assembled over the past decade a remarkable community of scholars, students, researchers, artists, inventors, and others who have contributed to the growth of the UAE’s capital as a global hub of knowledge and culture, while establishing a new model of higher education for today’s complex world.
NYUAD is animated by inspiring, diverse faculty, students, and staff working together in an exciting and dynamic city. As an international center of excellence in teaching and research, our goal is to attract outstanding faculty who are leaders in their fields, encouraging them to create programs that draw outstanding students and providing an intellectually rich environment.
Students are drawn from among the world’s best. They are bright, intellectually passionate, and committed to building a campus environment anchored in mutual respect, understanding, and care. The NYUAD undergraduate student body has garnered an impressive record of scholarships, graduate-school appointments, and many other global honors. Graduate education is an area of growth for the university and the current graduate student population of over 100 students is expected to expand in the next decade.
NYUAD is committed to building and strengthening a university-wide culture of inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity (IDBE). For more information on NYUAD’s commitment to IDBE and how these values create fundamental to our mission please visit https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/inclusion-diversity-belonging-and-equity.html.
Working for NYUAD
A world-class institution deserves world-class benefits. At NYUAD, we recognize that Abu Dhabi is more than where you work, it’s your home. In order for faculty to thrive, we offer a comprehensive benefits package to our top talent. This starts with a generous relocation allowance to ensure a smooth transition to Abu Dhabi, followed by a competitive salary, housing on campus if required; access to health and wellness services, plus more. NYUAD is committed to faculty success throughout the academic career trajectory, providing support for ambitious and world-class research projects and innovative, interactive teaching approaches. Support for dual-career families is a priority.
Click here for more information on benefits for you and your dependents.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensing or Training
- Advanced degree (masters or PhD) in English, TESOL, TEFL, ESL, Applied Linguistics or a related subject
- Available to teach in person in Abu Dhabi during the dates listed below.
- Ability to provide online/blended learning instruction during the dates listed below as necessary.
Preferred Education, Certifications, Licensing or Training
- Advanced degree in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, TEFL, ESL
- High School-level experience teaching English as a second language
Required Work and Related Experience
- Demonstrated interest in cross-cultural education and enthusiasm for teaching
- Experience supervising high school students in a co-curricular setting (i.e. summer camp or after school program)
- Availability to assist with the administration of the program prior to the start of classes in Abu Dhabi
Preferred Work and Related Experience
- Work or internship experience teaching English to non-native speakers
- Familiarity with blended learning instruction
Length of Appointment:
Four to five weeks from July 10 through August 12, 2023 with attendance at approximately two meetings prior to the program’s start for orientation activities and field trips within the UAE. Dates of the appointment are subject to change.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae in PDF format. For instructions and information on how to apply, please visit our website at https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/about/careers/academic-support.html.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the program, please visit: www.nyuad.nyu.edu/summer.academy.
If this sounds like you, apply now.
Join NYU Abu Dhabi, an exceptional place for exceptional people.
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.