Senior Research Officer
- AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY (ANU)
- Canberra, Australia
- $95,324 – $100,098 per annum plus 17% superannuation
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 30 Mar 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Engineering & Technology, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Classification: ANU Grade 7 (Research)
Salary package: $95,324 – $100,098 per annum plus 17% superannuation
Term: 1x Full time, Fixed Term (26 months)
Position Description and Selection Criteria: PD_SoEN_ANU07_Research Officer Feb 2023.pdf
- Join a vibrant research group that attempts to make a difference!
- Support innovative research and teaching that contribute to environmental sustainability.
- Design and build cutting-edge research equipment.
- Work closely with a wide range of professional and academic staff from across the University.
- Enjoy workplace flexibility and be part of a supportive team.
The ANU College of Engineering, Computing and Cybernetics (CECC) hosts three of the key disciplines necessary to help us design, build, regulate and secure the future.
CECC is a vibrant and diverse community of more than three thousand students, staff, and visitors. Our College comprises three schools: the School of Computing, School of Cybernetics, and School of Engineering, supported by the Professional Services Group.
The School of Engineering brings together a diverse and welcoming community that is motivated to seek “wicked problems”. We connect divergent thinkers, to explore and pose solutions, cross the traditional interdisciplinary and global boundaries. We have evolved from our foundational strength in systems thinking, reaching beyond traditional engineering fields. This systems approach embraces our core strengths and is shaped around four focus areas: Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Mechatronics. Join us in our fundamental quest of discovery and passionate pursuit of knowledge that goes beyond our lived world.
About the opportunity
This position is a fixed term for a period of 2 years and 2 months appointment to contribute to the objectives of an externally funded project, support multi-disciplinary research and teaching activities and strengthen the School of Engineering as an international centre of excellence in environmental and aerospace engineering.
This role will work closely with Dr Juan Felipe Torres and his team as well as a wide range of professional and academic staff. You will contribute to an externally funded project by designing and building a prototype based on novel desalination concepts and engage in stakeholder discussions, relevant experiments, innovative research and teaching.
Our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate will have a bachelor (or higher) degree in Mechanical Engineering or a cognate discipline with demonstrated advanced skills and experience in computer-aided machine design, modelling machine performance and conducting relevant experiments. The candidate will have experience in supporting and supervising staff or students, working co-operatively in a small team and working within a broader university administration and complex stakeholder network, as well as a proven ability to think critically and innovatively in tackling engineering problems and/or challenging research. To excel in this role, the candidate must have excellent communication skills in English and an ability to maintain a constructive and solution-focused attitude towards identifying and solving problems with a high degree of independence.
For further information about this role please contact Dr Juan Felipe Torres, Senior Lecturer, via phone at +61 (02) 612 53801 or email email@example.com
Our commitment to diversity, belonging, inclusion and equity
ANU is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, and particularly welcomes applications from women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and candidates from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Furthermore, it is practice in the ANU College of Engineering, Computing and Cybernetics to actively seek a gender mix of shortlisted candidates for interview. For more information about staff equity at ANU, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion
What we offer
An exciting opportunity to grow and advance your career.
- Be part of a supportive work culture that will help foster your career growth and develop your skills.
- A beautiful campus work environment, on the capital city’s doorstep, at Australia’s #1 University.
- A healthy work-life balance and generous conditions and benefits, including 17% superannuation, paid personal and annual leave entitlements and career development opportunities.
For more information, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources
How to apply
Applicants must apply online via the ANU recruitment portal and should upload the following separate documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae (CV) and the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees, you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
- A two-page statement addressing the selection criteria (OR: A response of no more than 1000 words addressing each selection criteria).
- Two examples of your relevant work experiences (no more than 500 words)
Selection Process Timeline
- Applications close at 11:55 pm on Thursday 30 March 2023
- We anticipate interviewing shortlisted candidates on the week commencing 10 April 2023
- Unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted.
Please note: The successful candidate must have rights to live and work in this country and will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. An offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory results.
CLOSING DATE: 30 MARCH 2023