Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Medicine and Psychology
- AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY (ANU)
- Canberra, Australia
- $78,940 - $99,083 per annum, plus 17% superannuation
- 07 Mar 2023
- End of advertisement period
- 06 Apr 2023
- Academic Discipline
- Social Sciences, Psychology
- Job Type
- Academic Posts, Postdocs
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
Classification: Academic Level A
Salary package: $78,940 - $99,083 per annum, plus 17% superannuation
Terms: Full time, Fixed Term (up to 3 years, with possibility of extension, contingent on funding)
Position description & Selection Criteria: Position Description.pdf
- In our so-called “post-truth era, advance social-psychological knowledge of social identity processes involved in people’s understandings of truth (“partisan truth”).
- Join psychological researchers in the School of Medicine and Psychology who have well-established strengths in cognitive and social psychology, including group processes and intergroup relations.
- Be part of a growing team in a flexible work environment with an attractive remuneration package
Psychological researchers in the School of Medicine and Psychology (SMP) conduct research into all major areas of psychology, including social psychology, cognition and perception, clinical and health psychology, and lifespan development. All experimental research methods are welcome, with those who have particular strengths in social psychology, cognitive psychology, large-scale survey methods, and quantitative modelling being particularly suitable.
About the University
ANU has an international reputation for research and education relevant to the health, well-being, and experience of the population of Australia, as well as that of the developing world. This is achieved through discovery research, applied research, research-led teaching, and the translation of research findings into practice and policy. The ANU College of Health and Medicine comprises the School of Medicine and Psychology (SMP), the John Curtin School of Medical Research and the National Centre of Epidemiology and Population Health. These schools work together to deliver world-class research and education across the spectrum of medicine, well-being, human experience and health-related fields, working in partnership with the community, government and other key stakeholders at local, national and international levels.
We are looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow who can utilise their experience in the area of social identity and/or social cognition to contribute towards meeting the objectives of an Australian Research Council Discovery Grant entitled “Beyond Directional Motivated Reasoning: Social Identity and Partisan Truth.” The Postdoctoral Fellow is expected to contribute towards the research effort of the institution and to develop his/her/their research expertise through the pursuit of defined projects relevant to this Discovery Grant.
We would welcome an application from you, especially if you have a background in studying the social psychology of group processes and intergroup relations, are willing to work as part of a larger team, have an interest in contributing to teaching and/or research supervision, and have experience using modern advanced statistical methods in psychology.
This is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated early career researcher to join and make a significant contribution to a growing and vibrant team of researchers, to deliver high quality research designed to have impact, based at one of the world’s top universities.
ANU offers an attractive remuneration and benefits package, a friendly and collaborative work environment, generous leave entitlements, flexible working arrangements, generous superannuation, and salary packaging arrangements, which include on campus childcare.
For more information, please contact Professor Michael Platow T:+61 2 6125 8457 E: Michael.Platow@anu.edu.au
The University actively encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. For more information on employment opportunities, contact our Indigenous Employment Consultant on email@example.com
ANU values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. For more information about staff equity at ANU, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion
In order to apply for this role please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- A research outline that provides an indicative statement of the type of research you would like to conduct in the position of Postdoctoral Research Fellow, which should fall broadly in the area of social identity and people’s subjective understandings of truth. This statement should be no more than two pages long.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees, you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.
Please note: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. An offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory results.
Closing date: 06 April 2023.